UKC

Big Depot Manchester

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ben_Climber 03 Aug 2023

I see they are continuing their expansion with another routing centre on the way in Manchester.

I wonder if the likes of Awesome Walls and Parthian will survive.

It would be good if we could get a proper IFSC regulated comp wall here Manchester, some more World Cups on home soil would be great.

Post edited at 11:56
In reply to Ben_Climber:

Parthian will survive for sure. I think the centres down south (London, Reading and Southampton) are their own entities and do incredibly well. I'd go so far as to say that Parthian Reading is the best lead wall in the country.

The only thing stopping us doing IFSC rounds really is money. On average its £50k plus to host an IFSC event and I'm not sure if you've followed the latest threads on UKC about BMC funding but.....

There's no reason for AW not to survive this will hopefully just give it a kick up the bum to modernise and improve.

Neil Williams 03 Aug 2023
In reply to Euan McKendrick:

Awesome Walls is incredibly commercially competitive - indeed, I suspect the second Big Rock centre in MK may at least in part have been to prevent them coming in.  I doubt they would let it fail.

Also AW is in Stockport, not Manchester.  It isn't very far, but in big cities travel takes time so adding half an hour's drive or an hour on public transport does eat part of your evening!  I am a bit more surprised AW didn't kill Rope Race though, as that's much closer to Stockport and a small business.

In reply to Neil Williams:

They are competitive but compared to others getting slightly dated in their appearance and offering. just my opinion but if you've climbed at Parthian Manchester it's a much more modern feeling centre.

Rope Race has definitely got it's own niche and offers a great range of family inclusive activities.

j_duds 03 Aug 2023
In reply to Ben_Climber:

Have you any further info or links on this? I've not seen anything, and am interested to see what is planned in Manchester. 

The Big Depot Leeds is like no other lead wall I've been too. It's clean, has good setting, and looks very nice, perhaps a small downside is the lack of overhangs and more steep walls. 

OP Ben_Climber 03 Aug 2023
In reply to j_duds:

They just posted a 'Big Depot MCR, watch this space' on their Instagram story yesterday. No other info on specific locations or dates etc.

SteveJC94 03 Aug 2023
In reply to Ben_Climber:

> They just posted a 'Big Depot MCR, watch this space' on their Instagram story yesterday. No other info on specific locations or dates etc.

I was chatting to Dan (Depot Manchester Centre Manager) about this the other day. No details confirmed yet other than that the planning application is being submitted today so if/when that's approved no doubt plans will be shared. All he did say is "it's gonna be huuuge!" - read into that what you will

In reply to SteveJC94:

Planning Applications are public so if anyone is bothered the details and location are freely available

Post edited at 18:25

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...