UKC

Bristol top ropes or easy sport.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 alasdair19 09 Aug 2023

Hello

I'm looking for somewhere to take kids toproping near Bristol. I'm aware of a slab at sea walls down the gorge. Is there anywhere better? The kids would give severes a go.

Thanks in advance

Al

Cheese Monkey 09 Aug 2023
In reply to alasdair19:

Burrington coombe but might be a bit easy

slawrence1001 09 Aug 2023
In reply to alasdair19:

Could do the car park crag at goblin Combe? Not super high and easy to scramble up and set up top rope. Lots of VD there too.

pencilled in 09 Aug 2023
In reply to alasdair19:

I’ve had a decent time with the kids at Carpark Quarry before.

What about Portishead Quarry? 

I’m not certain how to get to the top of High Slab to set a top rope without soloing though, assuming they can’t belay you. 

https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crags/portishead_quarry-42/

Powley 09 Aug 2023
In reply to pencilled in:

At portishead you can walk round to the top of the slab to make an anchor off the tree at the top - then absail to the bolted anchors

slawrence1001 10 Aug 2023
In reply to pencilled in:

Phead quarry is great but the easiest route you can realistically set a top rope up for is HS, so if they are okay with that grade then it would be perfect 

bpmclimb 12 Aug 2023
In reply to alasdair19:

Hi. Portishead Quarry itself is large, but the bit where many climbers go - High Slab - is relatively narrow and doesn't contain a lot of routes. You can certainly walk to the top and abseil to bolts to set up, but don't expect to "reserve" those routes with in situ ropes for very long if other climbers turn up, especially at weekends. If it were me, I'd head for somewhere less popular and with a larger selection of shorter routes.

OP alasdair19 13 Aug 2023
In reply to alasdair19:

Thanks for all the suggestions.

petegunn 13 Aug 2023
In reply to alasdair19:

Over near Wells theres Split Rock - theres a wall on the right ( The Bay) with some easier shorter routes which can be easily top roped off trees I think, some may have now been bolted also at 4/5 

Split Rock (Milton Hill Quarry)

Post edited at 11:20

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...