UKC

NEWS: Abbie Robinson wins Fourth IFSC Paraclimbing World Championship, 4 Medals for GB Athletes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 10 Aug 2023

British paraclimber Abbie Robinson won her fourth world title in today's final at the IFSC Paraclimbing World Championships in Bern, Switzerland. Climbing in the B2 visual impairment category, Abbie topped her final route to take the win. 

GB Paraclimbing's Richard Slocock won silver in the men's B2 category, Martha Evans claimed bronze in the women's RP3 final and Lux Losey Sail also took bronze in the men's BS group. 

Read more

Steve Crowe Global Crag Moderator 10 Aug 2023
In reply to UKC News:

Awesome effort Abbie

Offwidth 11 Aug 2023
In reply to Steve Crowe:

Watched all of the finals on YouTube (without having to subscribe) this evening: time well spent. Well done to all those who took part.

Fellover 11 Aug 2023
In reply to UKC News:

Nice one! Seems like a very impressive effort by everyone across lots of categories.

I've not watched any of the paraclimbing so was wondering if someone who has could answer this question. Does anyone know why in the main photo it appears like Abbie is both toproping and leading? I recall reading in a Jesse Dufton interview that most (all?) paraclimbing comps are done on toprope, so that bit makes sense, mainly wondering what the bit of rope going downwards from her harness is for?

Offwidth 11 Aug 2023
In reply to Fellover:

Two ropes as the wall is so steep, if the lower clipped rope didn't hold the climber close to the wall there would be dangerous swings for a low fall. As it was there were some interesting 'tangles' in the falls.

If you have never watched I'd strongly recommend it.... it's the most interesting and most competitively attended paraclimbing final I've seen (para categories get merged when numbers are low). I know a few of the athletes so was very pleased for the full free to view coverage (don't panic about the 6 hours... the actual climbing starts at about 30 minutes in and finishes around the 4 hour mark). The climbing is on four routes which range from F6c to F8a+

https://www.youtube.com/live/RwQbZNGSUZA?feature=share

Post edited at 11:08
 Fellover 11 Aug 2023
In reply to Offwidth:

Thanks for the info. I'll try and find time to give it a watch.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...