UKC

Gogarth this weekend

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ripper 18 Aug 2023

Hi all - thinking of heading to Gogarth this weekend, so two questions to those in the know:

1. Very strong winds are forecast for Saturday, but from what I can see they're coming from the south/southwest. Does that mean conditions on the crags (Wen Zawn in particular) will be sheltered? Or would you avoid at all costs?

2. Recommend me a campsite nearby, that isn't just set up for family holiday camping (eg. minimum 3 night stay at rates of £arm-and-a-leg per night), with a food pub somewhere nearby-ish?

thanks

Post edited at 14:37
 Rory Shaw 18 Aug 2023
In reply to ripper:

I would also be wary, it could also be damp.

Wen zawn can be one of the windiest and coldest spots at gogarth

I guess you won't know unless you go but if I wanted to climb on Saturday I think I would look to the ormes/ north coast

Tom Briggs 18 Aug 2023
In reply to ripper:

I wouldn't go on that forecast, personally. 

We stay at Pentre Lago in Rhoscolyn. £10pppn. Slightly sloping field but fine for a night or two. They can now take card payments. 20p for the shower. Eat at the White Eagle (though at this time of year you may struggle to book a table)?

kevin stephens 18 Aug 2023
In reply to ripper:

As well as winds forecast force 7 gusting force 8 straight onto the crag, the swell is forecast at over 2m with a period of over 8 seconds. That means that every wave will be massive and breaking well up the height of the crag, especially with a spring high tide around 1pm! I would give it a miss if I were you

Post edited at 17:31
 kevin stephens 18 Aug 2023
In reply to Tom Briggs:

> I wouldn't go on that forecast, personally. 

> We stay at Pentre Lago in Rhoscolyn. £10pppn. Slightly sloping field but fine for a night or two. They can now take card payments. 20p for the shower. Eat at the White Eagle (though at this time of year you may struggle to book a table)?

I was kayaking from near the White Eagle yesterday. The area was mobbed. I reckon it will already booked up for a while. 

olddirtydoggy 18 Aug 2023
In reply to ripper:

I was climbing in Wen Zawn yesterday and the last pitch of Dream White Horses was still weeping wet. The amount of water soaking off the hillside after all the rain we've had will take time to drain off. There were a few routes still good to go, we did a dry one on the sea facing aspect, just outside of the zawn.

South stack was dry, most routes there were OK. Campsite wise is a tough one, we couldn't get on anywhere as they were offering a 4 night minimum booking unless there were spaces available on the day.

Simon King 18 Aug 2023
In reply to ripper:

My only comment would be, we've decided against Gogarth this weekend because of the very high winds...

In reply to ripper:

I guess Wen zawn could just about qualify as character-building atmospheric adventure, depending on how many grades you have in hand and how far above the sea you stay. Spray will be epic and it'll feel very nautical. Could make for some awesome photos and Type II fun but I won't be going there today.

Moacs 19 Aug 2023
In reply to kevin stephens:

If this doesn't put him off, what would?

OP ripper 19 Aug 2023
In reply to ripper:

Thanks all, we're going to head in the general direction but not with any great hope for Wen today. Still kind of hoping we might have a chance tomorrow though...

C Witter 19 Aug 2023
In reply to ripper:

I was there the other weekend in high southerly winds. The Main Cliff (Emulator, The Strand, Gogarth area) was surprisingly calm and sheltered, probably due to the headland. Wen Zawn was extremely windy, by contrast.

Valley of the Rocks is a reasonable campsite on Holyhead right next door to The Paddlers' Rest, which is a pleasant little bar on the better Anglesey Outdoors campsite. The latter is a better campsite, but always booked up in advance.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...