UKC

verifocal sports glasses

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mikeyjbs 22 Aug 2023

Good afternoon,

Looking for recommendations on varifocal wrap around sports glasses for rock climbing, scottish winter and alpine. Any suggestions welcome!

Ta

Michael

Rob Exile Ward 22 Aug 2023
In reply to mikeyjbs:

Hmm... I'm keen on varis most of the time but find them problematic climbing (and scrambling for that matter.) They're specifically designed to give good vision reading, I.e. looking down at about arms length, and good vision for distance, I.e. >2m  through the top part. Sometimes climbing you want good distance vision looking down e.g. to check your last placement, and good near vision looking up, e.g. sussing the next placement or hold.

My current solution is to have a cheapy pair of ready readers to wear climbing - I struggle to read a guidebook with them, and distance vision is not perfect, but as a compromise when climbing they seem to work OK.

ayuplass 22 Aug 2023
In reply to mikeyjbs:

I bought a pair of adidas sports glasses specifically for climbing from specsavers and they put varifocals plus reactolites in.  They were very good when I told them what I wanted them for and the assistant who set the lenses up said she could 'move' the areas for far vs near vision slightly to help me see the rock ahead as well as infront of my me. They also adjusted them during the fitting so that they go right around my ears to reduce the risk of them falling off or getting knocked off. 

I like them, i can see the route,  my belayer and the guidebook if necessary and I like the reactolites because I don't have to take a second pair of sunglasses. 

I don't buy my normal glasses from specsavers but they were actually pretty good on price and can't complain about their service

OP mikeyjbs 24 Aug 2023

Thanks all! This is all very helpful.

I found a few past threads on exactly this topic on forums as well which have also proved instructive.

Michael

LJKing 24 Aug 2023
In reply to mikeyjbs:

Hi Mike

I always use my old prescription glasses for sport and diy (varifocals). I currently have three extra pairs so not fussed about trashing them. Makes it cheap and in my case prescriptions don't change that much. I have also used contact lenses with variable success. Doug Scott always wore glasses climbing must work!

Thanks 

Laurence

Fiona Reid 24 Aug 2023
In reply to LJKing:

I'm curious, what do you mean by DIY varifocals? 

Thank you

LJKing 24 Aug 2023
In reply to Fiona Reid:

I use them for DIY as well as climbing. 

Fiona Reid 24 Aug 2023
In reply to LJKing:

Thank you,  that makes sense. I somehow missed the brackets and that's with my reading glasses on, oops!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...