UKC

Pizza oven on camping stove

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 islandlynx 10 Sep 2023

Hi All, 

I've seen people use pizza ovens you put on a gas fired bbq grill. Anyone tried it on a powerful camping stove, did it it work?

felt 10 Sep 2023
In reply to islandlynx:

Can't help you with this, but your question reminds of the worst pizza experience in my life. I held a party with a bonfire years ago, and asked people to bring food, maybe to be cooked over the embers. Someone showed up with a pizza with a topping of raw broccoli. After few minutes on the fire the pizza was completely burnt from the base through, except for the broccoli, which was still raw.

Siward 10 Sep 2023
In reply to islandlynx:

These seem to be designed for a gas burner:

https://www.funkyleisure.co.uk/camp-chef-portable-pizza-oven-13154-p.asp

If you're going to carry the stove though you may as well use a big car camping stove, no?

jimtitt 10 Sep 2023
In reply to islandlynx:

You can cook them on a normal camping cooker, a frying pan and some sort of lid. There are videos how to and it works.

George Ormerod 10 Sep 2023
In reply to jimtitt:

I've seen this done very successfully with the pre-cooked pizza bases - make like a normal pizza, bottom down in the pan, cook it, then use a plate to flip and cook for a bit longer, voila.  The only issue is that the pan has to be the same or larger diameter as the base, so it's not really one for back packing. 

magma 11 Sep 2023
In reply to George Ormerod:

pitta bread?..

65 11 Sep 2023
In reply to felt:

> Can't help you with this, but your question reminds of the worst pizza experience in my life. 

Clearly you've never ordered a deep fried pizza from one of many less salubrious Scottish chippies.

mike123 11 Sep 2023
In reply to islandlynx: I have had ( and I get many on here have to ) very passable  pizza made from scratch and then cooked in  a tin box heated by a petrol stove by various Nepali cooks in both India and Nepal . Huddled in a mess tent in the middle of sone mountain range or other is tastes unsurprisingly amazing .

nathan79 11 Sep 2023
In reply to 65:

The only thing better than a deep fried pizza is a pizza crunch. (A battered deep fried pizza). 

mik82 11 Sep 2023
In reply to nathan79:

"Pizza crunch supper on a camping stove"

65 11 Sep 2023
In reply to nathan79:

Jesus. That might actually make it less inedible. Especially if the pizza topping includes onion rings, white pudding slices and a fish supper.

muppetfilter 12 Sep 2023
In reply to 65:

> Clearly you've never ordered a deep fried pizza from one of many less salubrious Scottish chippies.

I did .... from the one is South Queensferry and ended up feeling as sordid and full of self loathing as Jodie Foster in "The Accused" after a go on the Pinball Machine. 

elliot.baker 12 Sep 2023
In reply to islandlynx:

Patrick Dickinson made his own pizza oven and ran it off a stove, looks amazing!

youtube.com/watch?v=FkzRgTrq5c8&

There's another video on his channel using it too.

65 12 Sep 2023
In reply to muppetfilter:

Many years ago after a late winter finish in Glen Clova I took my French companion into the first chippy we came to in Dundee and it didn't occur to me to warn her that her phrase, "I don't want all thees Scottish fried food so I will 'ave a pizza" had no logical validity in this corner of the world. She took one bite, spat it into the footwell then had to be restrained from going back into the chippy to deliver a review which mainly consisted of "putain" and "merde." She ended up eating all my chips, and they were pretty rank as well.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...