UKC

Places to eat near Spean Bridge

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Catriona 20 Sep 2023

I’m going to be staying in Spean Bridge.  Can anyone recommend places to eat within, say, a 30 minute drive please? Restaurant, chip shop, pub, whatever. I’ve eaten at the Old Station before and another place in Spean Bridge that doesn’t seem to exist any more. Thanks. 

Mike-W-99 20 Sep 2023
In reply to Catriona:

It’s a bit of a black hole as far as eating out goes.

The bridge cafe is ok but I don’t think they do evening meals.
The scruffy looking hotel claims to have a chipper but we got ignored last time I looked and haven’t been back.

DaveHK 20 Sep 2023
In reply to Catriona:

This is decent if you want to go posh: https://www.oldpines.co.uk/restaurant/

spenser 20 Sep 2023
In reply to Catriona:

The Stronlossit Inn in Roybridge is reasonably ok for food, but nothing to shout about.

Otherwise you are probably looking at Fort William (The Black Isle Brewery does nice pizzas).

LucaC 20 Sep 2023
In reply to Catriona:

The old station cafe is open in the evenings these days, but is hardly fantastic. Best to drive into Fort William and go to Black Isle. 

Fiona Reid 20 Sep 2023
In reply to Catriona:

For good fish and chips, Sammy's in Caol is pretty good. 

OP Catriona 20 Sep 2023
In reply to Catriona:

Thanks all. Sammy’s is looking like my best option. 

daWalt 20 Sep 2023
In reply to Catriona:

unless you've already gone to the chippy:

I'd recommend the smiddy house hotel (house right on the main junction); they do really good food, and the people that run it are really nice too.

OP Catriona 20 Sep 2023
In reply to daWalt:

I think the restaurant at the Smiddy House might be the place I mentioned as no longer existing. Was it called Russell’s? Looks like it might have closed. It was nice though. Quite swanky. 

KennyG 20 Sep 2023
In reply to Catriona:

The Lochside Brasserie next to Loch Lochy is worth a look.

brianjcooper 20 Sep 2023
In reply to Catriona:

We stayed at Spean Bridge a couple of years before Covid, so my comments are related to that time.

You mentioned the old railway station, at Spean Bridge. It was very good then with quite a good menu. Jamming musicians made for a pleasant atmosphere.

Spean Lodge was the best B&B we have stayed at. Anywhere! Sadly I noticed it was up for sale in 2022, so can't comment currently.

Post edited at 22:36
In reply to brianjcooper:

I used to stay in one of the self-catering cottage at Spean Lodge quite often. The owners, Glen and Sue, were brilliant but you’re right they’ve finally sold up I’m afraid. I can’t imagine it will be quite the same without them. I think it was an expensive place to heat even before fuel prices went mad, which must have been tough following on from the impact which the pandemic must have had. 

Pids 21 Sep 2023
In reply to Catriona:

If there are more than one of you then Seasgair is quite nice, just outside Fort William, you do need to book though.

If on your own then better off in booking in to the Mary Shaw Table where you get to sit down with others for a convivial meal; again booking ahead is recomended.

Enjoy your trip, and dining experience.

In reply to Catriona:

Garrison West in Fort William is good if your budget stretches that far (went there for a special meal a couple of years ago while staying at Roybridge).

https://www.garrisonwest.co.uk/

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...