UKC

REVIEW: Edelrid Eagle Lite Protect Pro Dry 9.5mm

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 12 Oct 2023

When it comes to single ropes, it's tempting to assume that thicker and heavier necessarily equals more durable and longer-lasting. But thanks to its use of Aramid fibres, the Eagle Lite Protect Pro Dry challenges conventional wisdom. John McKenna puts this innovative 9.5mm sport rope through its paces. 

Read more

John Kelly 12 Oct 2023
In reply to UKC Gear:

I bought a pair of edelrid starling 8.2mm protect Pro (aramid), about 18 months ago, attracted by the cut resistance, but they fur up incredibly quickly and they love to twist up, can be bit of a nightmare on multipitch or alpine routes, could be just this pair but I'm not rushing out to get another pair. 

I never tried the high impact force out but not an attractive characteristic 

Post edited at 20:48
In reply to John Kelly:

Hi John, 

That's a shame you've had that experience. After reviewing the Eagle Lite Protect Pro it has me really interested in the likes of the Starling due to cut resistance being a quality I'd prioritise more in a half rope.

In terms of furring, like I said, I also thought this happened quickly but hasn't kept furring at its initial rate. I'd say they are about the same as other ropes I've owned in the past at this stage now. Maybe it's more apparent in the Starling?

I can't really comment on twisting of the Eagle Lite Protect Pro Dry. I'd have loved to have been able to test these on multipitch alpine sport or the like (as this is their ideal environment) but sadly wasn't possible within the testing period and limited multipitch sport within my local area. However, I don't think this came up in our testing of the Swift Protect Pro Dry (with aramid) that was used in alpine multipitch. 

You can read that review here:
https://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/climbing/ropes/edelrid_swift_protect_pro_dr...

Shame you haven't gotten on well with the Starling. The cut resistance is really quite an attractive property for me in mountain trad and alpine environments. Impact force is a small trade-off I'd agree, although more so in a trad/winter fall scenario.

Post edited at 10:40
 Toerag 13 Oct 2023
In reply to UKC Gear:

Kevlar fibres are normally a pale yellow colour, is this the colour of the furry fibres?  Logically the nylon fibres would be the ones furring up because they're a) weaker than kevlar and b) less abrasion resistant and thus more likely to break and fur.

bpmclimb 13 Oct 2023
In reply to John McKenna - Rockfax:

I bought a 70m Swift Protect as a lightweight option for long sport. We have used it quite a bit now and haven't found the (very slight) furring to be a problem; however, we have found it very prone to twisting.

AliRLee 15 Oct 2023
In reply to UKC Gear:

Great review!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...