UKC

NEWS: GB Climbing Competition News Round-Up

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 19 Oct 2023

A round-up of the latest events, news and notices from GB Climbing.

Read more

spenser 19 Oct 2023
In reply to UKC News:

I look forward to confirmation from the athletes that the updated selection and welfare policies address the issues raised recently.

Smith42 21 Oct 2023
In reply to UKC News:

From the title I was hoping this UKC article would include a summary of how to get  on to the development squad/GB Team.
I tried to follow the links to see what you had to do and it was all a bit long winded. (I don’t have access to the BMC Events Registration service so couldn’t view that form which might of explained) 

I’m currently coaching some juniors (Cat C and D) in the YCS and after results today they are going to the finals. 

Any chance of a follow up article UKC? I’m sure plenty of parents would be interested.

Arms Cliff 21 Oct 2023
In reply to UKC News:

From this link (from the BMC page but a squarespace link) it looks like the squad selection was this week just gone, so maybe a bit late for anyone who was keen but not in Sheffield 😄

Also several of the docs have got published dates of Oct 2024

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5caa8b81755be20f3cf31ce3/t/6523f3bf0...

Post edited at 22:45
 Wadam00 22 Oct 2023
In reply to Smith42: 

policies here - selection is based on points from the 2023 comp season. The squads in ascending order are - Regional Squad, National Squad and then GB Squad. 

Cat C and D can’t make GB squad or National team as that’s for Cat B and above but they can get into Regional Squad if they have the right points. Getting to YCS finals accrues points towards selection. Once YCS finals is done, if you have enough points, they will open selection and people can apply

https://gbclimbing.uk/selection-policies-2024

the recent selection was for GB squad as the main comp season for Cat B abs above finished last week with junior lead  

Smith42 22 Oct 2023
In reply to UKC News:

Thank you, that was a really useful link and answered a lot of my questions. One follow up, where can I find out how many points are awarded at the YCS finals?

Thanks in advance.

Wadam00 22 Oct 2023
In reply to Smith42:

In the linked docs it’s in the annual performance strategy doc for regional squad. You get points for getting to finals, top 10 and podium places. 

Smith42 22 Oct 2023
In reply to Arms Cliff:

Thanks for the info. Seems daft having the selection BEFORE the YCS final, surely results are going to be pointless or at best very out of date or am I missing something?

Wadam00 22 Oct 2023
In reply to Smith42:

There is another opportunity for application to national squad after YCS - they are opening it for application a few times.

With the 4 nations boulder and lead series plus the junior boulder and junior lead comps in the calendar this last year a lot of kids will have the points so will not have done YCS (imo). 

johncook 22 Oct 2023
In reply to UKC News:

Wouldn't it be nice if GB Climbing, a department of the BMC could video their competitions and put the videos on the BMC TV site or the BMC Youtube channel. I follow one of the aspiring athletes but what chance do these competitors have of finding even a small sponsor if their efforts are no where to be seen.

Come on GB Climbing and the BMC. Improve your communications and visibility!

Smith42 23 Oct 2023
In reply to Wadam00:

Thanks for pointing me in right direction. 

If I’m understanding correctly, for Cat C Regional Squad you need 2500 points, competing in JBBC or JBLCC and getting to semifinals would be 750 points and  Finals in YCS Grand Final is 2000 points. 2750 points in total.

So is that automatic entry for Regional Squad or do athletes still have to go through a benchmarking section process?

Smith42 23 Oct 2023
In reply to Wadam00:

Thanks for pointing me in right direction. 

If I’m understanding correctly, for Cat C Regional Squad you need 2500 points, competing in JBBC or JBLCC and getting to semifinals would be 750 points and  Finals in YCS Grand Final is 2000 points. 2750 points in total.

So is that automatic entry for Regional Squad or do athletes still have to go through a benchmarking section process?

Wadam00 24 Oct 2023
In reply to Smith42:

That level of points would get them to regional squad benchmarking (page 5 of the selection framework) - they have to apply but they then attend benchmarking sessions. In the APS doc for regionals it tells you the benchmarking standard for the different grades for boulder, lead and speed. 

Smith42 26 Nov 2023
In reply to Wadam00:

4.2.2. Athletes who attend the 2023 YCS Grand Final in Upper Youth C and Youth B will accrue points for podium, final and top 10 finishes to support an application. See appendix 1 for the points criteria.

YCS Grand Final

Podium2000

Top 10 1500

Reaching Grand Final 500

Would an Athlete finishing in third in YCS have accrued 4000points or 2000 points to add to another competition result?

(  BBC British Bouldering Championships  BLCC British Lead Climbing Championships  JBBC Junior British Bouldering Championships  JBLCC Junior British Lead Climbing Championships?)

Thanks.

Boy Global Crag Moderator 27 Nov 2023
In reply to Smith42:

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...