UKC

Best price single 60m rope for indoor sport and occasional crag use?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 DizzyVizion 20 Oct 2023

My daughter was buzzing after her first indoor lead climb last night, a 22 metre 6a using my brother's rope. So to be self sufficient I'm now looking for the cheapest 60m single rope for indoor sport climbing.

Anyone know of any good deals at the moment? 

Thanks

whenry 20 Oct 2023
In reply to Jon Read:

I used a mate's Antidote the other day - by far and away the worst rope I've used for years.

Jon Read 20 Oct 2023
In reply to whenry:

I have no skin in this game, but can you be more specific as to why you think it so bad?

Robert Durran 20 Oct 2023
In reply to DizzyVizion:

Decathlon

OP DizzyVizion 20 Oct 2023
In reply to Jon Read:

Thanks Jon 👍 I was looking at this one earlier-

https://www.dicksclimbing.com/products/mammut-98-crag-classic?variant=43488...

Was hoping to find something cheaper; sub £100.

Every penny's a prisoner around here these days 🫤

OP DizzyVizion 20 Oct 2023
In reply to midgen:

Oh wow, that could be a winner 👌😊

Thank you

Jon Read 20 Oct 2023
In reply to midgen:

They've got some good prices! Have been using a Tendon 8.5mm for the past couple of years and it's doing very well.

phizz4 20 Oct 2023
In reply to DizzyVizion:

Go Outdoors have a 60metre Beale for £103.

whenry 20 Oct 2023
In reply to Jon Read:

His rope is fairly new, but its handling is really poor - doesn't feed through a Grigri at all well (or a Mammut Smart), and was really kinking and twisting when we last used it. By comparison, I've got an Edelweiss (Go Outdoors bargain) that's nearly a year old, only a couple of mm smaller in diameter, but feeds and handles beautifully. They've both only been used indoors.

Iamgregp 20 Oct 2023
In reply to whenry:

If it's fairly new and kinking and twisting really badly it sounds like it was factory rolled and your friend didn't remove it from the packaging correctly?

Actually - to the OP (and anyone else) it's worth watching this before you unpack your new rope!  youtube.com/watch?v=O879da0eaOc&

Post edited at 13:14
 George_Surf 20 Oct 2023
In reply to DizzyVizion:

I generally don’t pay more than £1/m buying ropes from rock and run, although you’ll probably have to wait until there’s a sale on if there’s nothing going now (definitely some a few weeks ago) 

C Witter 20 Oct 2023
In reply to whenry:

Kinking and twisting should be solveable and is probably more to do with how it's been uncoiled, recoiled, used and stored IMO... I've used an Antidote and found it felt skinnier than advertised and handled really well.

C Witter 20 Oct 2023
In reply to DizzyVizion:

If you're mostly using it indoors and cash is tight, a 50m rope may be significantly cheaper than a 60m. Just a thought. I don't know of any indoor walls in the UK above 24m.

Of course, there may be outdoor routes over 30m... especially abroad... but, you could equally say there are pitches over 30m... or over 35m... But, 50m is the most usual rope length in the UK, so there are more options for deals usually.

Post edited at 22:00
OP DizzyVizion 21 Oct 2023
In reply to C Witter:

> If you're mostly using it indoors and cash is tight, a 50m rope may be significantly cheaper than a 60m. Just a thought. I don't know of any indoor walls in the UK above 24m.

My local indoor has a lead wall that requires a 60m rope. It has a 6b+ on it just now which looks pretty good. 

In reply to C Witter:

Nah there are some ropes that are just a pain in the ass. I've treated all mine the same and they haven't all responded the same. Not even close.

Fysafa 23 Oct 2023
In reply to Longsufferingropeholder:

Must uses good quality ropes .

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...