UKC

Hardshell jackets for a long torso

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Thealicepalace 22 Oct 2023

I've been looking for a while for a new Hardshell, my last one from Klattermusen was a decent fit, but way too expensive for the quality and weight of the fabric. I'm now after a gore-tex or similar jacket, one problem, I'm 194cm and my back is 60cm long so I've never found a jacket that fits me as I'd like. I'm also pretty skinny. Has anyone else got this problem and found a solution?

midgen 22 Oct 2023
In reply to Thealicepalace:

I am also a string bean, and always buy Mountain Equipment these days, as one of the few (only) brands with long enough torso and arms to accommodate my 6'2" height, 30" waist, +5 ape limbs.

Patagonia is very short in the body. Rab and Montane a little better but still not right. Arc'teryx way too short in the arms. ME are bang on for me

Give the Tupilak or Lhotse a go. I use a Lhotse in a medium ( I think the only different between the two is pocket configuration?). 

Post edited at 19:24
 brunoschull 22 Oct 2023

Hi Alessandro,

I have similar measurements as you, 194 cm with a long back and long arms, although I have a more muscular build, and while probably nobody would call me overweight, as I creep past 50 years old, I can no longer describe myself as "skinny"

I have tried many jackets in XL.

I just bought and returned a Tupilak because it was too short in the hem.  This was very dissapointing becasue in many other respects I really like dthe jacket.

Arcteryx sometimes works depending on the model.  The Alpha models work.  They are expensive, but in my experiece they truly are a higher level of quality, ad hence perhaps a good value.

The Patagonia Triolet is acceptable (longer than the Tupilak) but the cut and details are not ideal in other ways.

The new Super Alpine is no longer than the Triolet, and has some anoying details.  

The longest jacket I have found so far is the Patagonia Dual Aspect.  It has a really nice face fabric and a great feel.  The helmet fits nicely over a hood. It's the best I've found for me. 

Of course, clothing fits everybody differently, and we all have different preferences, so try on if possible!

Good luck!

In reply to brunoschull:

Hi, I worked at Ellis Brigham for a while and I have tried on EVERYTHING its incredibly annoying haha 

Thank you very much!

brunoschull 23 Oct 2023

Let me know if you find something!

Fiskavaig 04 Nov 2023

The Berghaus cornice long, might be what your looking for? I'm 6ft 3ins and the xl covers my arse and groin area nicely, fine for hill walking and general use. 

echo34 04 Nov 2023

ME Orbital is very long in the torso. Not being gore tex its also nice to wear and cheaper 

Acrux 04 Nov 2023

Arcteryx used to do a beta long version, have you tried one of them on before? (Not sure if they still make that model)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...