UKC

Recommend a long body baselayer

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mnf_nelson 25 Oct 2023

Looking for a base layer for work that is long in the body, I have a longish back and find that a lot of base layers just aren’t long enough and they ride up then my back gets exposed. Only stipulation is I don’t like tops that have one of those long zips that come down to your stomach, so only a short zip if at all.

In reply to mnf_nelson:

Icebreaker are hard to beat

Pedro50 25 Oct 2023
In reply to Longsufferingropeholder:

I've got an XL Icebreaker baselayer up for grabs, an unsuitable gift.

Jimbo C 26 Oct 2023
In reply to mnf_nelson:

I have a decathlon kipsta keepwarm baselayer which is quite long and is warm

In reply to Jimbo C:

> I have a decathlon kipsta keepwarm baselayer

Yeah; their 'football' baselayers are quite long. Always worth checking the other sport categories, not just the 'hiking' section...

Jenny C 26 Oct 2023
In reply to mnf_nelson:

IME pretty much anything with a men's fit - invariably fashion trumps function with ladies clothing, leading to cold kidneys where you come apart at the seams the moment you bend forwards.

OP mnf_nelson 26 Oct 2023

Thanks for the suggestions. 

icebreaker look a bit pricey for this tight Yorkshireman. 

I’ll check out the kipsta ones next time I’m in decathlon.

brianjcooper 26 Oct 2023
In reply to mnf_nelson:

> Looking for a base layer for work that is long in the body.

Surprisingly. Last Winter I bought several M&S long and short sleeved thermal 'T' shirts. Two per pack in various colours. They almost cover my ar*se. Even tried a short over a long to give better chest area thickness.  

In reply to mnf_nelson:

> icebreaker look a bit pricey for this tight Yorkshireman. 

I've never bought one anywhere near full price, but unfortunately this isn't the time of year to be shopping for them.

PJ2398 28 Oct 2023
In reply to mnf_nelson:

Have a look at the Ortovox base layers on Sportpursuit. I’ve just bought a second of the 230 Competition baselayers. I have the same issue with hating short baselayers- I’m 6’2”, 42” chest and 13.5 stone-  and find the usual suspects way too short (Icebreaker, Isobaa etc)

These baselayers are quite thick but very stretchy. Watch the sizing though. I am normally a large in most brands and initially bought a large and could barely get it over my chest although its length was amazing. I then swapped it for an XL (nope) and now have the XXL which fits brilliantly and is down below the groin area in length. There are lighter baselayers in the collection to, but I don’t have any of them so can’t comment on the length.

In reply to PJ2398:

> I’m 6’2”, 42” chest and 13.5 stone

For body length, none of those measurements are really that helpful. Some people have short legs and long bodies. Some people have long legs and short bodies (me). But their height, chest and weight may be very similar.

Using 'body' here in the same sense as the OP: upper body, trunk, torso, etc. Not the legs...

PJ2398 28 Oct 2023
In reply to captain paranoia:

If you read the whole of my post, I am cautioning that the base layer I am recommending for length has unusual dimensions on the chest and waist so he needs to be aware of that if he was to consider purchasing one. 

Duncan Beard 29 Oct 2023
In reply to mnf_nelson:

Maybe worth a look at a Sprayway Dornie. They have the waffle inside & very warm, I'm short (5' 8") with a small chest but normally proportioned & the small comes down my bum a bit. Cheap too, can get for around £30.

oldie 30 Oct 2023
In reply to mnf_nelson:

Guilty of not answering question but obviously salopettes can solve bared back problem, if appropriate to your work. Overalls and dungarees too. Dare I suggest Buffalo

LastBoyScout 30 Oct 2023
In reply to mnf_nelson:

I've got a Patagonia base layer which is ridiculously long in the body - tbh, too long for me for most things, but otherwise fits really well and is a nice colour.

Siward 01 Nov 2023
In reply to mnf_nelson:

My old (still available) Sub Zero Factor 1 top and bottoms overlap by a good 12 inches when worn together. Nice and long and nice to wear next to skin also.

nniff 02 Nov 2023
In reply to mnf_nelson:

Look at Decathlon's cycling baselayers too - they tend to be long in the body

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...