UKC

Alpine adventure in December?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jim Houghton 23 Nov 2023

Hi all,

I've managed to get a few days in the alps in mid December...haven't done much alpine stuff since I had kids but used to do a fair bit of touring and alpine climbing...am also relatively fit at the moment. I've got 3 clear days to do something in the mountains. I get that I need to wait on the conditions but, in theory, what is normally doable at that time of year? Is it too early to go high? I'd love to ski a mountain...Gran Paradiso perhaps...or do something interesting...I don't get many opportunities to get out!

Thoughts very welcome!

Suncream 23 Nov 2023
In reply to Jim Houghton:

Going over 4000m at that time of year is a serious undertaking. It's certainly possible but not to be underestimated. The days are short and it is bitterly cold, and storms are fairly regular. Seriously think about frostbite, and the consequences if you get caught out in bad weather. Avalanche conditions are less predictable that early in the season and snow bridges on crevasses could also still be weak.

If you're set on summits on skis I would personally be thinking more about the 2000-3000m range.

OP Jim Houghton 24 Nov 2023
In reply to Suncream:

Thanks - not set on it at all, just wondering what is fun in the alps in Dec! I'm more of a rock climber...but doesn't really seem the time of year for that. Any particular 2000 - 3000m peaks you'd recommend? 

Doug 24 Nov 2023

I've often ski toured in December, in a variety of places from the Queyras in southern France to the Austrian/Swiss border, usually on hills between 2 & 3 000m. But you need to be flexible & decide on your destination at the last moment depending on conditions.

Why don’t you sport climbing somewhere south facing and sunny? Like Seynes?

If time is precious you’re much more likely to something done.

Tom

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...