UKC

Back at Depot Sheffield

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Hi 

Last Thursday I was at Depot Sheffield and before I met with Euan I did a short Vinyasa Flow Yoga session at the hotel gym. In my opinion, rhr yoga helped improve my climbing but due to having something on my mind I wasn't for my full self mentally so I didn't complete any problems.

I bumped into Lattice's Maddie Cope - who is a lovely and friendly person - at the wall.

I spent most of that session on WBL problems including a tricky one with a toe hook start but I did have a go out two on whites, blues and one black. At the end I tried a yellow or two. There was a lovely crimpy purple I think I fit half way up on using twisting.

S

In reply to Mountain Spirit:

Ha!

No reply?!

John Ww 17 Jan 2024

What exactly were you expecting? 

In reply to John Ww:

> What exactly were you expecting? 

I dunno really.

I've just returned home from productive Sheffield trip. I spent a lot of time on the two circuit boards at Depot Sheffield working on endurance  yesterday.

I also held a 1kg weight with the large pinch grip on the Lattice Quad block for just over a minute on each hand with aem in front first then to the side.

Sav

> I've just returned home from productive Sheffield trip. I spent a lot of time on the two circuit boards at Depot Sheffield working on endurance  yesterday.

> I also held a 1kg weight with the large pinch grip on the Lattice Quad block for just over a minute on each hand with aem in front first then to the side.

> Sav

Is that good, bad or indifferent?

In reply to DubyaJamesDubya:

> Is that good, bad or indifferent?

Please can you explain your post.

I think it is good. 

I did see someone drink a can if full sugar coke cola before climbing.

S

In reply to DubyaJamesDubya:

> Is that good, bad or indifferent?

Typo: It was meant to be 'I did see someone drink a can of full sugar coke cola before climbing'.

John Ww 17 Feb 2024

Let me be the first to ask - so what?

hang_about 17 Feb 2024

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe... Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion... I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate ...

McHeath 17 Feb 2024

Why have the likes and dislikes been disabled and deleted from this thread? First time I´ve seen this happen, and they´re still there on all other threads. Sav gets his share of likes (also occasionally from me), and there are others who get way more dislikes for individual posts, so what´s up? Just curious; it would be nice to have an explanation from a moderator.

JLS 17 Feb 2024

>”I did see someone drink a can if full sugar coke cola before climbing.”

I drink a litre of tea over the course of most seasons. I believe Dave Macleod drinks 2 litres.

Offwidth 18 Feb 2024
In reply to McHeath:

Sav got over a hundred dislikes here on a few occasions for just being himself. More people here need to meet him to understand.

Glad you had a good time Sav.

McHeath 18 Feb 2024
In reply to Offwidth:

I enjoyed the account of your day out with Sav on Burbage, and I remember you writing that he´s great company, a very likeable and open guy; I´d have offered to team up with him myself if I wasn´t in Berlin. I´ve always tried to be supportive in his threads, although I´ve made a couple of critical comments when he went too far with the self-overestimation and the dropping of famous route names as projects, or the logging of various top test pieces as "sent". He neither makes it easier for himself nor for us.

I thought you had likes/dislikes turned off? He´s certainly never had over a hundred dislikes here. Some posters get 50+ for a single post; Sav has never even approached that figure. As far as I remember, the proportion likes/dislikes here was around 1:2 or 1:3. I was simply curious about the policy behind the decision to disable; if there´s a like/dislike system, surely it should apply to everybody? On the other hand, maybe in this particular case it was a justified decision.

Wishing both you and Sav all the best!

Post edited at 02:01
 John Ww 18 Feb 2024
In reply to McHeath:

I've always believed in concept of "one rule for one, one rule for all", so I'm afraid I don't think this is the right decision.  On the other hand, it might be a perfect example of why we should get rid of the bloody things completely. 

Luke90 18 Feb 2024
In reply to John Ww:

> I've always believed in concept of "one rule for one, one rule for all"

Offwidth 18 Feb 2024
In reply to McHeath:

I've never turned dislikes off as I'd be cutting off information in my campaign against them.

Such a thread with over a hundred dislikes triggered me to undertake a survey once over the winter hols, quite a few years back now. Sav topped with over a hundred and there was at least a couple of other big 'plie-on' threads at different times. I was determined to meet him given this. I felt it was shameful behaviour in response to someone who I felt clearly had issues (totally understable when you meet him). I doubt he will ever be able to stop being a bit inappropriate at times.

I suspect 'pile-ons' and the worst negativity stopped because quite a few people did meet him.

Post edited at 11:42
In reply to John Ww:

> Let me be the first to ask - so what?

Is it a drink to have before and during a session?

In reply to McHeath:

> Why have the likes and dislikes been disabled and deleted from this thread? First time I´ve seen this happen, and they´re still there on all other threads. Sav gets his share of likes (also occasionally from me), and there are others who get way more dislikes for individual posts, so what´s up? Just curious; it would be nice to have an explanation from a moderator.

I have just seen that and I am wondering why too. 

In reply to JLS:

> I drink a litre of tea over the course of most seasons. I believe Dave Macleod drinks 2 litres.

I have a can of Tenzing during a session and sometimes a cup of tea before hand.

In reply to Offwidth: 

> Sav got over a hundred dislikes here on a few occasions for just being himself. More people here need to meet him to understand.

> Glad you had a good time Sav.

Thanks Steve.

I am up for more grit this Summer.

S

McHeath 18 Feb 2024
In reply to Offwidth:

Sorry I got that wrong with your likes/dislikes. I‘ve never turned them off myself, but I’m now finding this thread much more relaxing to read because nobody can just bang off a dislike, they actually have to write something. Your report sounds impressive, I missed that; was it internal, or is there a thread about it anywhere?

Offwidth 18 Feb 2024
In reply to McHeath:

They all got sent to the pub. It wasn't properly scientific being triggered by an obvious problem and being partly based in my own subjective judgement on quality. I just looked at dislikes for all recent posts in the forums and found no obvious correlation with quality ((there was for likes though). Plus there were some clear bullying 'pile-ons' (Sav being an obvious one). You can still look at early Sav posts (dislikes all gone!) And see the verbal nastiness on a few.

I still think dislikes should go. We can always 'like' a critical replyvto something idiotic or bad: to get the same message over without the extra button. They are so often ambiguous (people will agree by adding to a  a post about a bad thing) which is one reason I think likes are more indicative (some terrible shit occasionally gets likes here though). They clearly rile some people making the site more aggressive.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...