UKC

REVIEW: Lowland Outcrops

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 23 Jan 2024

Coming out 18 years after the previous edition, the much-anticipated new definitive guide to the crags of Scotland's Central Belt is an attractive guidebook that brings up-to-date clarity to this well-trodden area.

Read more

TobyA 23 Jan 2024
In reply to UKC Gear:

Looks great! Are the Southern Upland crags in it as they were in the original 90s Lowland Outcrops guide?

From the example pages I see that Spirogyra (VS 4c) is 5a. It's a route I did many times and loved whilst a Glasgow resident, but I thought it was VS 4c. Did it get an upgrade or is my memory failing me (highly likely!)?

edit: having hit "send" I can see the UKC database has Spirogyra down as 4c so perhaps it's a debatable one!

Post edited at 09:52
 Ramon Marin 23 Jan 2024
In reply to UKC Gear:

Things of beauty, guidebooks as they ought to be

Mike-W-99 23 Jan 2024
In reply to TobyA:

> Looks great! Are the Southern Upland crags in it as they were in the original 90s Lowland Outcrops guide?

They are getting their own guidebook. There's been loads of development there recently.

Mark Bull 23 Jan 2024
In reply to TobyA:

Spirogyra was given 5a in the previous guide - perhaps for the awkward starting crack shared with Prom Direct? 

Dr Toph 23 Jan 2024
In reply to Mike-W-99:

> They are getting their own guidebook. There's been loads of development there recently.

Indeed, I can confirm that there is a South West guidebook in the works that covers Dumfries, Moffatt, The Galloway Hills and the Southwest Sea Cliffs.

DizzyVizion 23 Jan 2024
In reply to UKC Gear:

Really lovely books.

Lovely enough to be released as a box-set even (with free cover art postcards).

Dream on, Dizzy!

😁👍

Post edited at 18:51
 morpcat 24 Jan 2024
In reply to UKC Gear:

> and a mini-mountain crag for added interest

Curious to know - which crag are you referring to?

DaveHK 24 Jan 2024
In reply to morpcat:

> Curious to know - which crag are you referring to?

Loudoun Hill?

Cog 24 Jan 2024
In reply to morpcat:

Ben A'an.

morpcat 24 Jan 2024
In reply to Cog:

Considering I was up there just two weeks ago, I really should have got that. Thanks!

DaveHK: I think that would be a "micro" or even "nano" mountain (though I do love it)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...