UKC

B3 Boots Comfort and Breaking them in

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tigh 28 Jan 2024

Hi all

I bought some B3 boots recently for an upcoming Mont Blanc climb. 

They are relatively comfortable when wearing in house and I then went for a short 2km dog walk in them. 

Yesterday I did 18km in them along the Jurassic coast. They are obviously cumbersome beasts for this type of walking and my feet were quite uncomfortable in them after a about 4-5 Kms. In terms of fit is this to be expected? They aren't designed for easy hiking so should I expect this or if they fit perfectly would they still feel comfy walking in them. I had no hot spots, blisters etc. just lower calf pain and a general ache. Some of this is prob coming from still figuring out the best lacing technique for me. Anyway any guidance , expertise welcome. Also I have never worn a stiff boot before so I understand I need to give me feet time to adapt. 

Final query is if they simply aren't designed for this type of walking what's the best way of breaking them in that doesn't involve travelling to mountains as I am a bit limited on south coast altho I will do a few days in Scotland next month. 

Thanks

T

TobyA 28 Jan 2024
In reply to Tigh:

If you did 18 kms in them with no blisters or hot spots, it sounds like they fit OK. I'm not convinced that we really do "break in boots", maybe a bit but it's not like leather boots of 40 years ago. More your feet get used to them.

They're not designed for just walking in - they're designed for climbing. Maybe wear them for regular short walks if you want, learn how lacing them different works or does for you, then go and climb something in Scotland and enjoy them doing what they are made for!

What model are they?

olddirtydoggy 28 Jan 2024
In reply to Tigh:

Due to the stiff nature of the boots they will force you to walk differently as they won't give to accomodate the movement of your lower leg and foot so perhaps it's a different step style some muscles may be discovering. Your Scot trip should loosen your body up I'd hope.

Fiona Reid 28 Jan 2024
In reply to Tigh:

B3 boots are much stiffer than regular walking boots so mean you can't flex your feet etc in the same ways. Result is your legs have to work differently so you get tired or muscles hurt. They usually weigh more too. 

I find mine much more knackering to walk in especially on flatter terrain / paths. The soles of my feet tend to ache after a few hours which I'm sure is purely down to the lack of flex. Once on steeper snow or climbing they are fine as that's what they are intended for.

If you managed 18km in them without blisters etc I'd not worry about wearing them for your Scotland trip. 

Mark Haward 28 Jan 2024
In reply to Tigh:

From where you live Dartmoor may be a good compromise for some walking. There is even a nice scrambly ridge ( although very short ) at Greator near Hound Tor. Lots of good big boot scrambling / bouldering to be had around Hound Tor as well.

The other responses are all great. I'd add, some people find getting rid of the insole that came with the boot and getting one more suited to their feet can add a lot more comfort. Superfeet work for many people, perhaps try different insoles and see what works for your feet personally.

OP Tigh 28 Jan 2024
In reply to TobyA:

Thanks appreciate the sound advice. And yeah I was hoping the 18km would bend them to my will but I've learned that it will have to be my feet that bend to their will! 

They are Scarpa Mont Blanc GTX. They seem a good boot. 

Thanks again

T

OP Tigh 28 Jan 2024
In reply to Mark Haward:

Thank you, really appreciate this and I'll definitely check out those routes 

VictorM 29 Jan 2024
In reply to Tigh:

Personally, I’d hold off on wearing them in conditions they’re not designed for. Modern boots can fit properly right out of the box and walking trails in B3s will wear out the outsoles pretty quickly because they are so stiff. Resoling is cheaper than a new boot but it isn’t that cheap! 

If you can do 18k in them without hot spots or blisters they fit just fine. 

Rampart 29 Jan 2024
In reply to Tigh:

Could be worth replacing the insole with a better aftermarket one. I'm a fan of Superfeet, but there's others. Bear in mind that they may also need a little adjustment time, so maybe don't put them in just before you leave for Mont Blanc.

Also you've learned a key lesson with crampon boots, namely don't wear them when you don't have to - if you're walking into alpine huts do the approach in something more comfy if at all possible.

In reply to Tigh:

When I am walking in mine I lace them differently to give a little more flexibility, particularly on the calf/shin.  I don't cross the laces when going to the first set of hooks, just go straight up, then I cross them as you normally would for the second set of hooks then I miss out the top set.  When I stop to put crampons on (or get to some more technical terrain) I redo the laces so they are fully on and tight.  I've no idea if anyone else does this too but I find it a lot more comfortable.  Sometimes I do this to walk out too but often the laces have loosened by this point anyway so I just leave them.  Anyhow, experiment and see what works well for you.  18km is a long walk in big boots so it sounds like you are doing fine.

Edit:  I should add - make sure your trousers cover the unused hooks.  I once tried to cross the road in front of a bus in the middle of Chamonix.  I got the lace loop from one boot caught on the hook from the other boot and landed flat on my face in the road.  Luckily the French bus driver had his wits about him and found it hilarious.

Post edited at 12:45

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...