UKC

Using Manchester trams.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rog Wilko 10 Feb 2024

Going to a play at the Lowry in a couple of weeks. Will need to get from Central Mcr to Salford Quays and tram seems to be the obvious means. As a casual visitor, what is the procedure for using a tram as I’ve never done it before?

Andy Johnson 11 Feb 2024
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Its similar to the london underground. There are ticket machines at every station that print physical tickets. The stations are grouped into zones [1]. City centre is zone 1 and Salford Quays is zone 2. Just buy a ticket covering zone 1+2, single or return as appropriate, and keep it on you while you travel. Like the underground there are maps inside the carriages. Depending on your starting station you might need to change at Cornbrook. See the map at the link

There's also an Oyster-like tap in/out system but as a visitor its probably easier to just buy a ticket.

[1] https://tfgm.com/tickets-and-passes/fare-zones/tram

Post edited at 00:28
 Pedro50 11 Feb 2024
In reply to Andy Johnson:

I'm pretty sure you just tap in and out with a credit card (like the London underground)

r0b 11 Feb 2024
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Just tap in and tap out with your contactless card.

MediaCityUK is the closest stop to The Lowry

OP Rog Wilko 11 Feb 2024
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Thanks all - very helpful. 
I now remember a few years ago jumping on a tram under the misapprehension that our aged person bus cards were valid on the trams, so never bought a ticket. Later found out that it’s free only for residents of Greater Mcr. Whoops!

CantClimbTom 11 Feb 2024
In reply to Andy Johnson:

If it was like the London Underground paper tickets will be more expensive than just touching in and touching out with contactless card or phone (use the same one for in and out). Visitors to London are advised to *avoid* using paper tickets or they'll pay extra  

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...