UKC

Beal Ice Line alternatives

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 doughobbs 19 Feb 2024

Looking to replace a pair of (now shortened!) damaged Ice Lines and wondering if there is anything comparable or better out there - what are people using?

ta

John Kelly 19 Feb 2024
In reply to doughobbs:

Could try Mammut 7.5mm alpine sender 

climber34neil 19 Feb 2024
In reply to doughobbs:

Tendon master Pro tefix 7.8 mm, never used a better rope in winter 

Bottom Clinger 19 Feb 2024
In reply to doughobbs:

After watching my mate accurately place his extremely sharp axe straight through my Ice Line, I chopped that bit off (he was seconding) and use it as a dog lead: overhand knot in one end, and crab at the other attached to a very ‘tight’ overhand with a heavy duty cable tie abutting the crab (so that it can’t spin round).  Often thought this would make a good fund raiser for say MRT. Just sharing.  

In reply to doughobbs:

I haven't used them but I'm getting tempted by the edelrid ropes with aramid in the sheath after doing a bit of damage to my beal opera last year. There's half ropes in the range I believe.

John Kelly 19 Feb 2024
In reply to pancakeandchips:

Had a pair of aramid sheathed, Edelrid protect pro starlings 8.2mm for couple of years, they get furry real quick and my pair are the most twisty ropes I've owned, tricky for multiple pitches (had to tie one rope out to get rid of twists) and rapping can be fun, more theoretically (cant say it effected me) they also have quite high impact force.

Improving cut resistance is clearly a good target  but not sure they quite got it right yet.

Really innovative company and I will probably buy their next iteration of this tech

Post edited at 22:28
In reply to Bottom Clinger:

> After watching my mate accurately place his extremely sharp axe straight through my Ice Line, I chopped that bit off (he was seconding) and use it as a dog lead: overhand knot in one end, and crab at the other attached to a very ‘tight’ overhand with a heavy duty cable tie abutting the crab (so that it can’t spin round).  Often thought this would make a good fund raiser for say MRT. Just sharing.  

The dryrobe and crocs version of dreadlocks and a dog in a string.

Bottom Clinger 20 Feb 2024
In reply to Ennerdaleblonde:

> The dryrobe and crocs version of dreadlocks and a dog in a string.

A dog IN a string?  What, like a G String? That would be a cool look.  

Alpenglow 20 Feb 2024
In reply to John Kelly:

Mammut have just released some new "Core Protect" ropes with enhanced cut resistance.

Mammut say they have an extra aramid layer in between the core and sheath, so will be interesting to see how these compare to the Edelrid offerings, which have aramid woven into the sheath?

Maximusf 20 Feb 2024
In reply to doughobbs:

I have 8mm alpine dry ropes only used once however I was thoroughly impressed with there water resistance and how they felt rappelling weirdly not as slippy as other ropes. 

Best wishes max

TheGeneralist 20 Feb 2024
In reply to John Kelly:

> Could try Mammut 7.5mm alpine sender 

got one of them last month for £144

Scarily thin

< edit just to acknowledge how pointless my post was.... sorry, not fallen on it or abbed on it, no idea if it is any good.> It's orange.   ,

Post edited at 21:39
 John Kelly 21 Feb 2024
In reply to TheGeneralist:

It's a useful comment 

They are pretty thin, maybe not your everyday rope but they climb really nicely, only weight 2kg, pack small, great for hauling round mountains 

Short lengths are good as scrambling ropes with appropriate belay plate.

In reply to doughobbs:

Whatever Mammut call the Twilight this week.

7.5 mm, beautifully light and such a narrow target you would need the eye of Eric Bristow to hit it.

TheGeneralist 21 Feb 2024
In reply to John Kelly:

> They are pretty thin, maybe not your everyday rope but they climb really nicely, only weight 2kg, pack small, great for hauling round mountains 

Mmm yes. That's why I bought it, cos it was so light. Would be terrifying taking a fall on it though. I seem to recall that it stretches by a third or something insane.

> Short lengths are good as scrambling ropes with appropriate belay plate.

Yep. Bought a 40m section for the Cuillin traverse a few years ago. Used 1 day only 

nufkin 22 Feb 2024
In reply to doughobbs:

I've been very pleased with my Petzl Pasos so far. They looked pretty much unused after a week in Rjukan last year, and only marginally less so after some recent action in Scotland

Michael Gordon 22 Feb 2024
In reply to John Kelly:

> They are pretty thin, maybe not your everyday rope but they climb really nicely,

A proper technical rope!

nniff 22 Feb 2024
In reply to doughobbs:

Just to complete a set of recommendations, Edelrid Apus work well for me.  Have done for years, and still going strong in Norway now.  I have two of different vintages - one is a bit furrier than the other, but not much else different

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...