UKC

Mallorca hire car recommendation

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 smbnji 25 Feb 2024

Anyone got any recommendations for a hire car in Mallorca? Or equally any companies to definitely avoid...

Many thanks!

PawelP 25 Feb 2024
In reply to smbnji:

we usually go with goldcar but you need to be supermegacareful as they try to rip you off at every step. prepare to wait in a long queue, make sure that you have credit card in your name with limit big enough to absorb pre-authorised deposit , be assertive when it comes to refusing their insurance ( arrange yours independently while still in UK), take photos of every scratch on pickup and at return. 

I'm not selling it, am I ?

Once you learn how to play it its allright and relatively cheap

VanRell used to be much more civilised but don't have any recent experience

Post edited at 23:00
 The Norris 26 Feb 2024
In reply to PawelP:

I refuse to give goldcar any of my money after I got caught out by their tactics (I am now much more aware of how to play the game). They basically ruined that trip for me, so it's left a bad taste ever since! I admit now I know what to do I would probably save some money but I don't want to be supporting that kind of business model.

PawelP 26 Feb 2024
In reply to The Norris:

agree, goldcar is a risky choice. Who you go with instead of goldcar then?

Post edited at 09:08
 Abu777 26 Feb 2024
In reply to smbnji:

We used Vanrell, who were the preferred provider of the hotel we were staying in, September last year. I did use their insurance but there were no issues throughout. The car had a couple of scrapes when I got it, but took pictures in case it came up later, which it didn't. Left it outside the hotel and keys with reception at the end of the holiday, and didn't hear any more about it. The fees seemed very reasonable to me, no fuss, dead easy.

OP smbnji 26 Feb 2024
In reply to smbnji:

Thanks all, think we'll swerve goldcar...

Toccata 26 Feb 2024
In reply to smbnji:

Avoid Goldcar like the palgue. Tried to charge me for excessive tyre wear when we'd driven 250 miles on a motorway in CH.

In reply to Toccata:

To be fair to gold car, if you take the hit and buy their insurance, everything is hassle free.

This takes their low rack rate up to compatible with other providers.

If you unsure yourself then be prepared to work for the savings.

Gold car are just more honest than other hire companies in the protection racket model adopted.

colinakmc 27 Feb 2024
In reply to smbnji:

Last year I hired on the mainland from DoYouSpain.com, they were ridiculously cheap (it was low season) and I was a bit apprehensive but the service, and the car, were absolutely fine. The fuelling arrangement wasn’t problematic either, I just had to leave the fuel gauge where I found it, about 1/4 full. If they’re present on Mallorca could be worth a try.

In reply to smbnji:

Terry's Car Hire worked for me. Very fair price. Car left for me at the airport parking & just returned it the same way at the end. No queuing, no hassle to buy extra insurance, & no rip off. Very satisfying 

dsh 28 Feb 2024
In reply to smbnji:

Was there a couple of years ago and used local company ROIG. http://www.roig.com/ 

Was better priced than the big guys but great service, good car, and insurance was reasonably priced if you want it but there was no pressure. There's a shuttle to their office and drop off at the terminal was included.

Post edited at 03:49
 Mike_d78 28 Feb 2024
In reply to smbnji:

Hi

We used https://www.mallorcacarhirecompany.com/ last year. They were great no hassle, collecting and drop off were very easy. 

I believe the company is owned by Brits.i didn't get a sense of the usual rip off vibe that you get from many car hire companies. 

OP smbnji 28 Feb 2024
In reply to smbnji:

Thanks again everyone!

mike123 29 Feb 2024
In reply to buxtoncoffeelover:

> Terry's Car Hire worked for me. Very fair price. Car left for me at the airport parking & just returned it the same way at the end. No queuing, no hassle to buy extra insurance, & no rip off. Very satisfying 

ages since I went cragging to Majorca but I was about to say try to find a small independent who have a personal recommendation from either here or other travel websites . Years ago I found Lara car ( Alicante ) from a Spain expats forum  and have used them  loads since . If mr Buxton  has used them recently I d go with that . Usually the price they say is the price you pay , it’s why they stay in business .

Tim Bevan 29 Feb 2024
In reply to smbnji:

I'd get decent insurance whoever you go with - someone tried to crowbar into our hire car parked up by some remote crag where I'd have thought it was totally safe. Apparently not that unusual. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...