UKC

Terranova Voyager Inner Repairing Taped Seams

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mike Hutton 28 Feb 2024

I have a Terranova voyager in mostly excellent condition. The outer functions fine and I have spare poles.

The taped seams in the corners on the water-proof part of the bath-tub are starting to come away completely and moisture is getting in on wet ground nights. Its probably due to age.

Was wondering if anyone has had success repairing this either themselves or by a repairer.

I really want to keep the tent as its got no other defects and is quite bomb-proof  

ablackett 28 Feb 2024
In reply to Mike Hutton:

this might not be your issue but I had a Laser which had a really leaky ground sheet (seams were in good order though).  I used some Fabsil gold waterproofing on it and it's been perfect ever since.  Just a thought as it might be leaking in via the groundsheet rather than through the seams?  I messaged TN about replacing the groundsheet, they quoted £200, and clearly hadn't really read my message properly, made no apology and didn't answer my question about if this is normal behavour after 40odd nights use.

ScottishMountainGear.com quoted me £89 to replace the ground sheet, so might be worth contacting them if Fabsil doesn't work.

Andypeak 28 Feb 2024
In reply to Mike Hutton:

If it's just the tape then peel it off and seal the seams with seam sealant, or leave the tape in place and seal on the outside of the seam. 

Dunthemall 28 Feb 2024
In reply to Mike Hutton:

Get a "footprint" ? £60 or less.

OP Mike Hutton 28 Feb 2024
In reply to ablackett:

Thankyou. Thats really helpfull

In reply to Andypeak:

My 3rd option thanks

In reply to Dunthemall:

Thanks. Will get that as a backup

In reply to Mike Hutton:

A bit of polythene or Tyvek will work just fine as a footprint - no need to spend £60.

In reply to Mike Hutton:

Some Tyvek breather/roofing membrane makes an excellent cheap, durable footprint if you can find someone who has a little spare (end of roll, offcut) or sells lengths off the roll (100m x 1.4m costs just under £150). 2m x 1.4m is enough to trim into a Voyager size footprint for £3. Try local roofing contractor (T.Peel in Buxton) or builder's merchants perhaps 

In reply to ablackett:

Very interesting. I have a Lightwave T10 Trek and the PU coated groundsheet is becoming a bit porous with age, water coming through under pressure when I camp on a bog, and I have been wondering what to do about it. The tent is otherwise perfect, so I might give Fabsil Gold a try. Failing that, I shall make a footprint.

Post edited at 17:16
 ablackett 28 Feb 2024
In reply to WildAboutWalking:

Yes, it worked a treat. We’ve pitched it on an absolutely sodden spot at the OMM and it was fine after the reproofing.

angry pirate 29 Feb 2024
In reply to Mike Hutton:

I had the same issue with my Voyager some years ago. Shortly after, all the seams washed off the flysheet in a storm in the Peak district and I had a very soggy night. At this point it was probably about 20 years old so I didn't feel too aggrieved. It is now a play tent for the kids.

I'm not sure that, once some of the glue is failing, it is worth throwing too much money at solutions rather than a replacement.

OP Mike Hutton 08 Mar 2024
In reply to buxtoncoffeelover:

Thanks alot

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...