UKC

EB rock shoes - any experiences?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

The legendary EB are making rock shoes again (maybe have been for a while) and I wondered if anyone has experience with them?  They are cheaper than Scarpa, Sportiva etc and that makes them tempting for indoors use if nothing else.

https://eb-climbing.com/climbing-shoes

jezb1 03 Mar 2024
In reply to Frank the Husky:

I had a pair of Strange’s.

I wore them for a little bit on trad up to E1, but the fit wasn’t quite right for me.

Decent enough for the price if they fit.

I climbed with someone a couple of years ago who warmed up for his project everyday by climbing an 8c in his EBs, didn’t seem to hold him back!

McHeath 03 Mar 2024

> The legendary EB are making rock shoes again (maybe have been for a while)

It says in the linked ad that Paul Jenft won the 2017 European Youth Bouldering Championship using one of the models, so they do seem to have been around a while (and can’t be that bad either!)

Post edited at 16:03
 nufkin 03 Mar 2024

I've a pair of Mojos for potter-abouts, which seem comfy enough. The rubber is noticably less grippy on resin holds than the Vibram compounds on my other shoes, but if the holds aren't tiny it's mostly not a problem - outside there seems to be less difference

JCurrie 03 Mar 2024

I have a pair of the Django 2.0. Great fit and a very supportive shoe. Superb value.

Enty 03 Mar 2024

EBs were good enough for Seb Bouin until Black Diamond offered him more money to wear theirs

E

jezb1 03 Mar 2024
In reply to Enty:

Interestingly that's the climber I mentioned higher up the post.

Few years ago so still EB sponsored, changed into something different for his 9b project every day.

I've seen this a few times now with climbers changing in to different shoes for the photos!

ripper 03 Mar 2024

I bought a pair of Electron as they were too cheap to turn down. I envisaged just using them as indoor warm up/mileage shoes but tbh once broken in I don't feel like they're holding me back at all, at my level (up to 7a-ish). A good buy, in my case

john arran 04 Mar 2024
In reply to ripper:

I bought some EBs after a lucky find in a bargain bucket in Decathlon - no idea which model, for silly money. They were very comfy so I thought they would be fine for warmups and longer routes. Turns out I've been very impressed and they give great performance even without being a very tight fit.

Given a suitable deal on a another pair, I'd not hestitate.

C Witter 04 Mar 2024
In reply to jezb1:

You climbed with Seb Bouin?!? What a great climber... and seems a nice chap.

jezb1 04 Mar 2024
In reply to C Witter:

He turned up at Santa Linya on his own each day blagging belays off anyone there. Very nice guy.

Sean Kelly 04 Mar 2024

EB's. Is that name related to Ellis Brigham? After all he began as a cobbler. Very different to the original shoe, as you would expect.

Martin Hore 04 Mar 2024
In reply to Sean Kelly:

> EB's. Is that name related to Ellis Brigham? After all he began as a cobbler. Very different to the original shoe, as you would expect.

I think not. The original EB (of which I had several pairs back in the 70's) was widely, but wrongly, thought to refer to Ellis Brigham. I'm pretty sure they were designed and made in France by someone with the initials "EB". Emile Bordeneau possibly? They were the go-to rock shoe for a decade or more until the company changed the design, stickier rubber came along with the Boreal Firé, and the EB fell out of favour.

Martin

leon 1 04 Mar 2024
In reply to Martin Hore: Almost correct Edmond Bourdonneau bought Pierre Alains  (PA`s) business

History of EBs

https://eb-climbing.com/historical-eb

Post edited at 09:24

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...