UKC

Small simple point and shoot camera for mountaineering in big gloves.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Hi,

I'm off to the Alps for some mountaineering and looking for an easy to use point and shoot. I have a Sony RX100 vi which is a little too nice and looks expensive to knock about whilst climbing. 

Ideally I'm after 16 mega pixels and above and maybe fixed focal length. I won't be able to zoom in and out with big gloves. Hence the point and shoot.

Doesn't need to be the latest and greatest and don't ideally want to spend more the £400.

Does anybody have any recommendations?

Thanks

Ian Carey 06 Mar 2024
In reply to Juliankitesurfer:

I think that what you are after does not exist.

I use two small cameras, a Fuji XF10 and a Fuji XP200.

Using both with gloves, especially when it is cold, is difficult.

However, it is made slightly easier by sticking some self adhesive rubber pads to the power button and shutter release.

I tend to use the 'auto' setting to make things easier.

I only shoot jpegs and I think that my results are okay, but not outstanding.

It amazes me that some people get great shots in difficult situations with everything from monster full frame cameras to phones - I'd like to know what their secret is?

colinakmc 06 Mar 2024
In reply to Ian Carey:

I have a tiny LUMIX which has somewhat fiddly buttons and limited tolerance for damp. I love its small size but eventually concluded it was too delicate for the Scottish climate. I then got an Olympus Tough TG6 which has much easier controls and a reputation for being, er, tough and waterproof. I find it ok to use in gloves unless I need to change exposure modes - but you don’t do that all the time anyway. Results are OK. (Disclaimer - I’ve never really fully adapted to digital - much preferred the pictures I got on my old OM1 using slide film) Certainly does the job of capturing pleasing memories of mountain trips.

Robert Durran 06 Mar 2024

I have a TG6 which I bought for kayaking, but I used it in the mountains a bit last summer when my RX100 was being repaired. I found the jpeg image quality very disappointing in comparison. In particularly skies were badly washed out. 

kevin stephens 07 Mar 2024
In reply to Robert Durran: Yep. My TG6 is great for kayaking but far short of a decent non-waterproof camera for mountains and general stuff. Very small sensor and hence pixels, unsophisticated lens coating etc.

Robert Durran 07 Mar 2024
In reply to kevin stephens:

> Yep. My TG6 is great for kayaking but far short of a decent non-waterproof camera for mountains and general stuff. Very small sensor and hence pixels, unsophisticated lens coating etc.

I have recently upgraded to software that enables me to process RAW files from the TG6. Not tried it yet, but I have heard it should make a significant difference. 

Mike-W-99 07 Mar 2024

We’ve a canon d10(not made any more). Decent image quality given it had a smallish sensor and very easy to use in point and shoot mode with gloves.

it looks like a toy but I’ve always been pretty happy with the pictures.You may be able to pick up a cheap one on eBay.

Blue Straggler 08 Mar 2024
In reply to Mike-W-99:

A friend brought one of those on a trip (climbing and bit of freediving) to Malta (well, Gozo) and I had a play with it and found it a delight to handle and use. I never did see the pictures on a proper monitor. 

This was in 2010. Glad to hear yours is still going strong! 

ianstevens 09 Mar 2024

Honestly: your phone will be fine for this, and will be as good as any low end camera you’re describing.

As for needing gloves on whilst you use the camera - I have always just taken mine off when using it. It’s a few minutes, you won’t freeze.

nufkin 09 Mar 2024
In reply to ianstevens:

> As for needing gloves on whilst you use the camera - I have always just taken mine off when using it. It’s a few minutes, you won’t freeze.

That adds an extra element of awkwardness, though, if you're also trying to belay at the same time, or if you're mid-pitch and trying for a quick action shot

Robert Durran 09 Mar 2024
In reply to ianstevens:

> Honestly: your phone will be fine for this, and will be as good as any low end camera you’re describing.

> As for needing gloves on whilst you use the camera - I have always just taken mine off when using it. It’s a few minutes, you won’t freeze.

I agree that a decent phone will be at least as good as a low end camera, but I certainly find a camera in point and shoot mode much easier to use than a touch screen with gloves or numb fingers. The chunkier the camera the better, though obviously there is a balance there.

ianstevens 09 Mar 2024
In reply to nufkin:

> That adds an extra element of awkwardness, though, if you're also trying to belay at the same time, or if you're mid-pitch and trying for a quick action shot

Personally I don’t really take photos whilst I’m belaying, nor really mid-pitch - so maybe different use cases here. I also have toddler straps on my gloves so they come on and off pretty fast without fear of dropping!

ianstevens 09 Mar 2024
In reply to Robert Durran:

> I agree that a decent phone will be at least as good as a low end camera, but I certainly find a camera in point and shoot mode much easier to use than a touch screen with gloves or numb fingers. The chunkier the camera the better, though obviously there is a balance there.

For sure - although I have my phone set up for screenless photos (using the volume buttons etc) so it’s pretty quick and easy to use. I also have a mega beefy case which helps with the ergonomics.

Will Rupp 09 Mar 2024

Sony a5100 with the kit lens 16-50mm (zoom is on the lens and easy to use with gloves), or the fixed 16mm pancake lens. Really good for this sort of stuff

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...