UKC

Fit club Week 889

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tyler 17 Mar 2024

A new thread is posted each week on Sunday for anyone to jot down their previous week's activity. UKC fit club is a rich community with posters sharing their goals, noting successes and failures and offering support to those struggling to maintain motivation. Anyone interested in starting is very welcome to join, but to get the most of UKC fit club you should aim to post each week, every week, however little or much you have done. By making such a regular public record of your activities and by restating your goals every week this new habit will hopefully improve your training habits and drive you towards achieving your goals whatever the level of your chosen activity.

Link to last week’s thread:

https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/walls+training/ukc_fitclub_week_886-76897...

SSB - Quick progress on Huffy’s bodes well, interesting that it comes off the back of not doing any specific training and only going on boulders quite a few grades lower than this. Not sure what that tells us but I'm assuming the moves on it are harder than anything else you've done recently, it doesn't look a particularly long problem

Ian Parnell - Good to see you went to Gogarth after a training day so as not to let it interfere with the wide pinch pick-up data. Sounds like a great route, I’ve added it to my list.

Derek Furze - A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step so well done on beginning your 8A quest! April weekends should be a lot freer for me as well so very keen to meet up if possible. Sounds like you had a very busy week, hope you didn’t overdo it and set yourself back.

Steve Claw - In contrast to Main Wall I will not be adding The Pusher to my tick list! Good effort on the new route, is it a good one?

Alan Little - The weekend sounded pretty epic, must be gratifying to have coped with some miserable conditions and a longer than expected day, admirable therefore that you did your squats afterwards, I expect some DOMs this week?

Ross Barker - Good to get your cold out of the way before the wedding, hope the preparations are going well. Another reason for us all to hope for an upturn in the weather in the next week or so.

AJM - Bad feet and good holds is always the way to go when circuit training IMO (unless you are ARCing), better for skin, better for tension, slows you down to a more realistic pace.

Ally Smith - Are you going to share your long term goals or are you still mulling them over?

Tigh - Good consistent training, excellent stuff

Randy - Very pleasing to see you’ve returned from your hiatus without significant loss of fitness, as well as strength.

Tom Green - Now the dry tooling is making sense. Nice one getting after it in the big hills, hope you get some reward for the effort this week.

mattrm - Three runs in a week is great consistency. Is that a new wall opened near you, it sounds like your first visit? Disappointed you’re not tracking your skateboarding on here, hopefully we’ll still get the odd update

OP Tyler 17 Mar 2024
In reply to Tyler:

Was always going to be a tough week as this was my annual rugby weekend when I go from not drinking for 364 days to two big sessions trying to keep up with seasoned drinkers with inevitable results. 
M: Annex, didn’t do too much but pretty good as it was my second day in the annex and I’ve never managed that before without injuring myself!

T: Rest

W: Really good session at Beacon, all new routes to get on. Lots of try hard, didn’t get up anything but didn’t take on anything. Ten tie ins and couldn’t hold on jugs on the last route.

Sun: Forced myself into the annex, didn’t warm up properly so kept falling off the circuits until the end when I managed R&Y reverse to the shake out and then 8 moves of the second lap. Did it the other way afterwards but not as far as the rest

Ian Parnell 17 Mar 2024
In reply to Tyler:

STG (this month) – maintain a grip on daily life, get good weekly routine going. 1. Climb some nemesis grit E1-2s clean. 2. Six boulder problems 6B+ or harder by end of March (I did 4 in total in 2023) 2/6.

MTG (next 2 months)– 1. Attempt 2 on run climb project. 2. Climb some safe grit E3 routes.

LTG (next 6 months) – 1. Give me strength – fingers, steep stuff and slopers. 2. Rheinstor Lower Traverse?? 3. Trip to Sanctuary Wall

Mon – Nothing

Tues – 8.2 mile road run. 1hr 16mins 9.2 mile pace. Home wall. 10 problems 5-6B. Tried a couple of harder things. Foot on Campus 60 secs on 60 secs off. 60, 60, 53, 45, 42, 37, 37, 334 total. (pretty poor; 87secs down on pb – work to do!)

Wed – 30mins ‘Carcing’ with yellow doughnut. 30 mins stretching.

Thursday – Awesome Walls Kilter Board. Attempted 14 problems; half at 30 degrees, half at 40 degrees. Tried 7 6a+s but only got up one. Hard work but at least it’s another 70 mins on a steep board. 46min run on the moors. My watch said 4.5miles and my friends 4.1! Although bizarrely mine measured 230m of ascent and his around 300. Good hard run either way.

Fri – Lured out with a crap forecast by a mate to Moat Buttress. Thought he was being over ambitious but enough dry bits on the 7b+ traverse to have a play on. Did a few 8-10ft sections. Amongst the usual Peak Lime crimp-ming there were a couple of really, beautiful holds and some interesting sequences. Would need a massive effort to put it all together, but will probably pop in occasionally as it’s great preparation for when the sport routes dry out. Has anyone done or been on Excalibur (7b+) – probably over ambitious but it looks good for a Peak route i.e. it has some jugs on it!

Sat – Stanage. Tried warming up on Coconut Ice (E2 5b) before I realised my mistake and ran away. Too bold and cold. Instead did Orinoco Flow (E2 5c) which was a pretty poor eliminate but crucially it was well protected.

Sunday – 3 mile run on treadmill in 30mins, followed straight after by 9 miles on road in 1.28hr. Struggled with motivation today and was put off by the rain hence the treadmill bit first. 3 x 10 pushups. 30 mins stretching.

Reflection - I had this week off having to use up ‘take it or lose it annual leave, but it’s not been the best in terms of weather and climbing opportunities. My wife was off skiing with her mates so had to be home most of the time. Still managed to get a decent amount of training/climbing of various kinds. Hoping this ‘getting work done’ even when psych is low is going to pay off when (if?) settled weather comes.

Post edited at 20:23
 Derek Furze 17 Mar 2024
In reply to Tyler:

My last really busy week!  Thanks for stats.  Not that much response to the suggestion of an April meet - powder being kept dry for Week 900 I think?

Sun - Managed very little as busy with garden projects.  I've been reporting these for so long that you will all think I have a country estate by now, but the reality is that gardens take time.  Frogs are out in force on the pond now.  Did manage a session on the bike for 5.5km and a block lift repeater session at 21.6kg.  Going quite well with these.

Mon - Max hang session with two separate grips - slopes and four tips.  Managed four cycles from BW up to 11.3 kg/  Mixed this in with 50 pull ups, 50 push ups and 8 sets of stretching and core.  Also upped the exercise bike to nearly 13 mins and 6.5 km.

Tues - Wed away with work.  My last hotel stint for a while.  Stayed in the dive that hosts visiting fans at the Villa, so Ajax fans arriving all excited.  I bet they were disappointed.

Thurs - block lift repeaters as Sun - 21.6kg each hand.  12 mins on the exercise bike for 6.35 km.

Fri - 60 pull ups and 60 push ups.  4 sets of stretches and core/  15 mins on the exercise bike for 8.44 km (flying).

Sat - 5.30 am start for a Wainwrights walk.  I had explained to my step son that I didn't want the first outing to be poor visibility or poor weather generally, but when stood on top of Loft Crag you couldn't see Harrison Stickle, so you get an impression of the navigational challenges!  Very wet underfoot, occasional surprises when a figure would appear out of the clag and a couple of missed turnings meant an entertaining day with more miles and slightly less tops than planned.  However, five in the bag and the probability that there won't be that many worse days!  Delighted to get the mission underway.  Should remark that my legs held up, but are showing signs of DOMS now, so climbing tomorrow might be entertaining!

Tyler - I'm sure I can organise some time in April...  I don't normally do weekends, but a couple of Saturdays ought to be possible.  Also keen to undertake some projecting, or even get on trad at Gogarth or wherever.  I will check my diary and let you know options.

Post edited at 22:11
 AlanLittle 17 Mar 2024
In reply to Tyler:

STG: Kilterboard 5C @ 45° 
STG: Thalkirchen 5.9 "easy" crack
MTG: Rough Bounds Scottish backpacking trip in May
MTG. DAV Lofoten meet in July
MTG: Im Extremen Fels ticks     in August
LTG: Be a confident, well rounded low to mid 7's sport climber. For measurable definition see Fit Club 823
LTG: Winter '25 - do an actual off piste ski tour.

M:  Rest day. Some foam rolling & stretching for aching legs

T:    Wall, Thalkirchen. Routes 5c 6b 6a 6c (fell) 6b+ 5b (active rest) 6b+. 
    Decent session, although the fall I took off the 6c was a bit bigger & more traumatic than it should have been - my belayer was caught by surprise when I fired backawards off a slippery undercut, and although there isn't much weight difference between us, he's far more accustomed to belaying his much lighter wife. No harm done though, and hopefully lessons learned.
    Bike there & back.

W:  Started trying to do the TfNA box step-up test round two with a 15kg rucksack. Bailed quickly: legs are nowhere near recovered from Sunday's strenuous snow bashing.

T:    Bike 1½ hours for my (now weekly?) visit to the office & back

F:    Wall, Thalkirchen. Back on the kilterboard stg trail trying out 5C's at 45°. Actually flashed two, but once again they were so blatantly soft I really can't in all conscience take the grade or tick off the STG.
    Shoulders, bike

S:    Hillwalking. 2x800m vert laps on the Herzogstand. To save my knees, I got the lift down after the first round; and to train my knees, I walked down after the second round.
    Ten minutes slower per lap than I was in September - but that was before I was ill, I'm still at the beginning of my training for Scotland, and I was aiming at a sustainable Zone 2 pace not going flat out. So not too worried at this stage.

S:    20 minutes stretching to get some movement back into stiff legs. Was too stiff & tired to go to the wall; did some strict half crimp max hangs at home instead.

Steve Claw 17 Mar 2024
In reply to Tyler:

Thank you Tyler,

Had a busy week flat out at work, so been too physically drained to do much.

M - Nothing

T - Short Autobelay session. New set so ran laps on the 7a+ and 7b (both soft)

W - Nothing

T - Nothing

F - Quick 1 hour bouldering session at Flashpoint. Lots of the V3/V4 sets in quick succession.  Also managed 2 x V7's which is rare.  It seems lots of Flashpoint is graded soft these days, where as Redpoint boulders are hard, despite being set by the same people.

S - 4 x 20 Press ups

S - Rest

I'm off to Font in 2 weeks time, but don't feel strong for that sort of thing!

Post edited at 23:24
In reply to Tyler:

Cheers Tyler, thanks for the continued stats run.

Mon. Rest

Tues. Aero session at the wall. 4x10mins on 10mins off. Best set was up 7a and down 6b+ repeat. A step up from last session.

Wed. 11km run.

Thurs and Fri. rest.

Sat. Super Saturday at Curbar. Did Huffy's Roof (f7C+). I found some good knee bar beta at the start so probably more like 7B+. Also did Detox (f7C+) which shares the same start and also felt about 7B+ with a knee pad. Finished with The Arse of Japan (f7A+) which was worth the walk.

Sun. Following super Saturday was Shitty Sunday. This morning started well with the junior fell run but ended in A and E with my daughter who took a tumble off the bars in the park. There's something really terrifying about looking at your child and seeing their arm pointing the wrong way. 2hrs of surgery later and everything is now pinned back into a straight line. 2 bones broken. One brave little girl. Hopefully she'll come home tomorrow.

Ross Barker 18 Mar 2024
In reply to Tyler:

Good morning everyone. Some interesting weeks, hope your daughter recovers quickly SSB, sounds terrifying! Do kids these days still think it's badass when others turn up at school in a cast?

> Ross Barker - Good to get your cold out of the way before the wedding, hope the preparations are going well. Another reason for us all to hope for an upturn in the weather in the next week or so.

Haha, yes preparations are all going well, we're both feeling like we'll be in good shape. My partner's been keeping a keen eye on the weather but I've been taking a more "what will be, will be" approach. That said, the forecast looks dry and mild which would be a win if it holds true.

A decent week from me, started off well, diligent rehab etc, then midweek my mental health was slightly worse and rehab was the first thing to go as a result. Good weekend though, but less routine again makes it harder to do these things. All excuses in the end, as there was time in the day to get it done.

I'll be having a deload starting this week which coincides nicely with the wedding, hopefully some dancing will be the active recovery my body needs!

Last Week:

Avg weight 78.3kg.

M - 19kg OA density pickups. Ice baths before bed.

T - 19kg OA density pickups. PM 45min Moonboard. Mostly flailing around putting a go or two into various 7A/+ BMs. Managed "Uno" but nothing else. 10 mins of slightly pumpy traversing to finish. I think I should soon take a break from general BM sieging to focus on maybe just one or two problems per session, now that I'm running out of low hanging fruit. Get back into the projecting mindset instead of the ego-ticking mindset. Due a deload soon too. Ice baths before bed.

W - Rest.

T - Rest.

F - Ippikins Rock. Lots of seepage as expected, but it seems it would dry out alright in an extra day or two though. Did Fielding (f6C) after identifying the dry holds and figuring out a sequence. Found some new beta for the crux of Bollo (f7B), less tenuous than what I did a couple years back but maybe a bit strengthier. The lip holds dry quick so maybe linking these two would make a nice local project?

S - Ruthin Escarpment (Pwllglas Rocks). First time bouldering here, most things quite dry but the odd thing too seepy. Mostly a bunch of mileage for a couple hours. Probably won't return for the bouldering any time soon but quite enticed by the microroutes.

S - Rest.

Next Week:

M - Rest.

T - Climbing/training if time.

W - Rest.

T onwards... - Wedding and short trip away (proper honeymoon later!), might be able to squeeze in an early morning here and there but no rush.

Goals:

Rehab left middle finger.

Manage session load and build better habits.

Improve ability on tiny edges.

Louisville Lip.

Rigpa.

mattrm 18 Mar 2024
In reply to Tyler:

Weight - 14st 7lbs

STG - 10km fell loop in 1h 45m

MTG - 30 mile ultra (July 24)

LTG? keep on trucking?  stay fit? ummm

BHAG - F7A boulder somewhere / kickflip

M - 10k, 300m, Blorenge
T - 2k
W - Bouldering @ Llangorse (45m), 4k run
T - F - Rest
S -
S - 4k run

Weekly kms - 18k

Diet status - Good

It's not a new wall at all.  Quite the opposite.  I actually went there 10 plus years ago and was actually still on their systems.  I'd just convinced myself that it was too far away to bother with the drive.  It's not.  Only slight downside is that they're only open till 9 on Tues, Weds, Thurs.

Much happier with the diet this week.

As my lad was ill, I didn't do the junior fell running club this week, so got to go out with the new running shop in town on one of their kit testing runs.  Got some nice swag and did a nice new loop.  So running has gone ok this week.  Being able to road run again means I've done much better on the running this week.  Got a good few loops ready now which will help stave off boredom.

Got out to Llangorse again this week.  It was a bit busier but entirely with school groups and they're all very considerate.  Did a really good warm up, which means I actually did one.  I never really bother normally.  Then spent about 45 minutes doing laps on the circuit board.  Definitely felt the burn in my forearms.  Felt like a good idea just to get the endurance down.

Ok, skateboarding, as you asked for it, here goes.  Went out on a bunch of short lunchtime sessions so didn't really get much done other than get my warm up finessed.  Then started learning to skate switch, which is basically a bit like doing things left handed if you're right handed.  Much harder then you might think.  Then as I've got my pads, I've started to learn how to pump again on a ramp.

Tom Green 18 Mar 2024
In reply to Tyler:

Hi everyone. Thanks for the stats, Tyler. 

Similar week to last week. Big stuff made difficult by conditions. Dry tooling definitely making sense -short, sharp routes feeling relatively straightforward.  

Week 11:

M: Short skin in to Rive Gauche for Bringing Home the Bacon (VII 8) -Batoux Finest Points and Bullock Points! Great climbing, and happy that it felt fairly steady. Some approach and route-finding faff led to a late start, meaning that forgetting my headtorch was a bit of an ordeal for the ski down to Argentiere!

T: Rest. 

W: Skinned in to set up camp and put in a boot pack for the following day's big route.

T: Bailed at the top of the approach route -too much unconsolidated snow and unfrozen choss. Abbed off, skinned out. Annoying but not unexpected -we knew that it was unlikely to go, but preferred to gamble on something big than get a guaranteed win on something small.

F: Vertical KM up the Brevant lift line. 1:01:35 -four mins slower than summer, but the top 200m was under snow this time! Then a social indoor bouldering session.

S: Piste skiing. The reward for braving the 5m visibility was that as the cloud lifted we were well positioned to be first down some amazing powder in the side country. 

S: Travel back to UK.

Week 12:

M: Fingerboard.

T: Run.

W: Bouldering.

T: Run.

F: Hill walk.

S: Rest.

S: Rest.

STG (end March):

Maintain finger strength -average 2 sessions/week. (Done an ok job of this)

Consistent strength and conditioning -average 2 sessions/week. (FAIL)

Get ski practice in: 5+ sessions Dec-Feb. (TICK)

2+ off Scottish VII list (Can I count BHTB as one? It gets a Scottish grade!)

1 off Slovenian Winter list. (FAIL)

1+ off Alpine Winter list (FAIL)

Ally Smith 18 Mar 2024
In reply to Tyler:

Still contemplating which direction to take my climbing; shorter and harder bouldering, or use Moonboard gains to get back into routes?

Week 11

M – Evening board. 10x 6C to 7A flash warm-ups, then “7B” flash to get recruited:

• “Pleven Style DG” 7C+ BM. Lots of goes from the floor. Start is nicely dialed in, but sideways move is hard after that!
  • “I like F15” 7C BM. 4 quick goes; trying to decide which way is actually best. (Undercut and drop-knee or back-hand lunge)
  • “Jerbear” 7B BM. 2 rubbish goes; quit before ruined my skin.

T – Rest

W – Zonked from overnight Squiggling

T – Evening board. 7x 6C to 7A flash warm-ups, then 3x 7A+ flashes to get recruited:

• “Pleven Style DG” 7C+ BM. More goes, more failures, but learnt lots about the sideways move and campus catch.
  • 3x non-BM flashes to warm-down after opening a couple of splits on Pleven Style DG.

F – Stretches only

S – Dugout in the drizzle. Warm-up repeats, then re-worked sections on Digging a Lass, 7B+. 2 RP goes, each ending at the slap into the bottom of Shropshire Lass. Realising this was tweaking my back in the same spot it was sore last weekend, shifted focus to Crumble. 90min later, after a dozen goes, including another hold crumbling, managed the first repeat since the undercut broke and was reglued.  

S – 90mins of totally unprofessional “tree surgery”. Really rather physical and decidedly achy afterwards

AlanLittle 18 Mar 2024
In reply to mattrm:

> Then started learning to skate switch, which is basically a bit like doing things left handed if you're right handed.  Much harder then you might think

Having had a few brief goes at snowboarding switch, I can confirm. It's not far off learning from scratch all over again

the sheep 18 Mar 2024
In reply to Tyler:

Hi,

Missed a week due to family emergencies and mums partner being hospitalised. Back to a slightly more normal routine again, although i feel i need to reset the run training a bit after missing so much. Anyway week went as follows;

Monday, 1km swim.

Tuesday 4 km run, felt like i hadn't been out in ages so just a leg loosener

Wednesday, spent the afternoon viewing 6th form colleges with middle daughter, no exercise

Thursday, 16km cycle to work and 1k swim 

Friday, 1k swim and 18k cycle home from work

Saturday. 1k swim

Sunday, very muddy 6.5km trail run

biscuit 18 Mar 2024
In reply to Tyler:

Cheers Ash. An extended stats run that is much appreciated. I typed everything up last week and ust not have pressed 'post'. Doh! 

Work has been hectic recently and it's messing with important things like fit club.

This week was the first of the official training plan. It's focussed on building capacity through tracking volume and intensity, getting rid of 'junk moves' and getting down the gym to get hench.

M - Went to the gym to get hench. Didn't get very hench as was quite tired. 

Didn't do the afternoon climbing as work got too busy. But this is now getting dropped to provide another climbing rest day.

T - Routes at Kendal. 6c+, 7b+ (attempt), 6b, 7b+ (tick) , 6b, 7b (att). All on the tall wall apart from the last one which was a shorter steep one. I skipped the last clip and regretted it, got scared and let go.

W - Boulder at BoulderUK - Good session up to V7 (techy not steep). need to get steep next time.

Gym

T - 30 min easy jog

F - Velocity pull ups. Indoor boulder at unit 34. Easy session. I could claim this was tactical before the comp but actually we were a bit hungover/tired from celebrating rach's retirement the day before. Focussed on coordination moves and slabs prior to comp on Sunday.

S - Gym - slightly easier session as comp tomorrow.

S - Boulder comp. We entered the fun comp and ended up doing 17 problems and trying really hard before the final, which wasn't great thinking. I enjoyed the final. It was really competitive this year and I was pleased with 3rd as I've not been bouldering much recently.

Really hoping to get out next week. Fed up of rain.

biscuit 18 Mar 2024
In reply to Somerset swede basher:

Oh no! I hope she's doing OK all things considered.

Randy 18 Mar 2024
In reply to Tyler:

Mon: Rest

Tues: Indoor Climbing, Boulderwelt south, about 15 Boulders in the 6a to 6a+ range, most of them flash with relatively little rest (1-2 minutes at most), Pullups: 4x12 with 2 min rest

Wed-Thur: Rest as i was on a business trip

Fri: L-Sit 15s, 10s, 2x12 Pike Pushups, 40 Pushups, 2x20 Bodyweight Squats, 2x10 Lunges

Sat: Indoor Climbing, Boulderwelt south, warmup one-arm lockoffs: a couple of seconds at 150° and 120°, then 8-10s at 90° and 45°, flashed a couple of 6b-6b+ boulder, failed on 2-3 where i could not find the right beta, generally felt a little bit tired from the week but felt better the longer the session went

Sun: Indoor Climbing, Boulderwelt south, did a bunch of easy boulders at the start, focusing on good technique and trying boulders in my anti-style, then did a 6b slab boulders, a 6b+ boulder at a 45° degree wall and could send another 6b boulder from last session after finding the right beta, in addition i got the all the moves on two more 6b+ boulder and one 6c/6c+ boulder. Quite pleased with this session, managed to send some hard boulders despite being second day on and feeling a little bit of soreness in my biceps from the lockoffs, yesterday

Another solid week with some decent volume despite some life stress. I also have the feeling that my technique is improving session though i sometimes still struggle with finding the right beta and executing moves precisely. 

Hopefully weather will be good next weekend so that i can the outdoor season and really test my shape.

AJM 18 Mar 2024
In reply to Tyler:

Yeah, I always try to keep a more realistic pace on the circuits as far as I can.

Several days in Bristol plus family celebration this weekend gone. I did a wall session, which was good albeit I felt kind of weak and uncoordinated (in terms of body tension not hand accuracy). Different style, different wall etc, who knows...

In reply to biscuit:

Cheers, home from hospital now. Tired but a lot happier than yesterday.

Derek Furze 18 Mar 2024

That's good to hear!  Here's hoping for a speedy recovery!

the sheep 19 Mar 2024

That's horrible, my daughter did pretty much the same thing on a trampoline, almost a compound fracture and her arm was pinned. They are pretty resilient little bears and it hasn't affected mine who is now a county level swimmer with goals of regional qualification.

Fingers crossed for a speedy recovery for her!

Ally Smith 19 Mar 2024
In reply to Ian Parnell:

re. Excalibur. I did it a couple of years ago, the crux baffled me O/S and even on RP ended up sorting something on the fly.

I think it'd be a good project, as there should be a technical solution to the crux and once you get that bit sorted, the top was pretty steady away.

Tigh 19 Mar 2024
In reply to Tyler:

Hey all, a little late to the party this week. Lots of unib work as I work towards a deadline in 1 week. Less training last week as a result 

Did 1 strength session at gym a 9km easy run and a 400m intervals session. Hoping to not let the uni work impact this week and stay consistent

Good week all. 

Ian Patterson 19 Mar 2024
In reply to Ally Smith:

> re. Excalibur. I did it a couple of years ago, the crux baffled me O/S and even on RP ended up sorting something on the fly.

> I think it'd be a good project, as there should be a technical solution to the crux and once you get that bit sorted, the top was pretty steady away.

Irregular lurker on these threads here!  Had a similar experience on Excalibur , finding crux baffling and being very significantly less strong than Ally didn't do it, probably should revisit.  

Unless you're a strong boulderer I would think Moat People or Garderobe might be a better choice, fair at the grade (possibly on the low side for the peak) and imo better routes.  Particularly Garderobe which I thought was one of the better at the grade I've done in the peak.

Ian Parnell 19 Mar 2024
In reply to Ian Patterson: Thanks for the recommendations Ian. Moat People is already on the list partly because you can link it into the 6c+ at 7a so at least I’d have a more realistic chance of getting a full tick! Reading the logbook feedback on Garderobe you’re not alone in your view on its quality. Lots to look forward to once it stops raining.

Small Step 22 Mar 2024
In reply to Tyler:

Hi Tyler and all,

my patchy posting has continued, quite simply because - after a tentative restart - my back went again. And again at the climbing wall and again while doing a seemingly innocuous movement, bending down to drag the rope bag to the wall...

Small Step - How’s the back? Sounds like you might need some of your friend’s ketamine and, more long term, to address your posture. I usually recommend yoga at this point.

There doesn't seem to be anything major but that's now three times in about three months, so I need to get it seen to. After the orthopaedist has helped me get upright again, I've got an appointment next week with a trusted physiotherapist / ostheopath...alas I also have to be careful with trauma stuff, and she's in the picture in this regard. So looking forward to finding out a bit more.

After 12 days doing nothing but the gentliest of stretching movements I got back on the wall and had now two sessions without mishap. So things on the up - the whole incident has brought my attention to 'moving as a whole' if that makes sense. Mindful movements! And not jerky stuff where, distracted, you seem to move in several directions at once...looking up and chatting for example while bending down...too old for that!!!

The problem is actually old, about 10-11 years ago, an awkward tumble while bouldering. It has occasionally bothered me, but nothing too serious. It's obviously a bit more serious now. Strange about the posture - my embodiment is improving all the time, and I feel quite upright and nicely poised. Are the old and the new getting in each others way? Something like an interregnum? Sorry, can't think of anything else to describe it...

Yoga? Do you do a specific type, Tyler? Or was that with a wink, I may have missed?

By the way, your annual rugby meet up - a reunion, or do you pull the boots on (again)?

Good weekend for all, down here it's predicted to be rather wet, with snow returning in the mountains.

Paul

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...