UKC

Anyone who applied for a Home Energy Scotland loan

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 henwardian 18 Mar 2024

Been turned down for a Home Energy Scotland loan and to cut a long story short, after a champion quantity of obfuscation, it eventually seems (but is by no means certain) like they have a credit score cutoff (that 300 to 850 point thing). If you are under it, you get nothing, if you are over it, you can have the maximum amount. So now I need to know what score I need to achieve to qualify for the loan.

Would anyone on UKC mind sharing what credit score they applied with and whether they were turned down for the loan or not? (happy to take a private message if you'd rather not post it up here for everyone to see).

Thanks in advance

girlymonkey 19 Mar 2024
In reply to henwardian:

We went through lots of shenanigans to get approved. I can't remember numbers though. It was my husband who dealt with it but I do remember that he went through their appeals process. 

I will see if he has the time to email you the details of what he did.

rka 19 Mar 2024
In reply to girlymonkey:

Yes and was awarded it but abandoned when discovered what was involved (suspect just a way of spending money with favoured gas central heating firms) . Wanted a heat pump (ideally a CO2 based one with a large, well insulted hot water tank to act as a thermal store https://www.harvest-thermal.com/product) .I was awarded new gas boiler because at the time annual gas cost were less than electricity costs! but wouldnt give how calc done). Also wanted help with double glazing but I live in conservation area so couldnt get help. Offered to replace piping + radiators but as I live in 1870's house we would be left me with costs of making good /re-decorating. No formal contract just a couple of pages of scribbled notes from surveyor who complained what a hard job it was and how it would be difficult to see how job could be done in 2 days budgeted for it.

Just confirmed my opinion of so many "good" enviromental ideas what looks good when presented via powepoint fails at the implementation stage.

OP henwardian 19 Mar 2024
In reply to girlymonkey:

Thanks, that would be much appreciated.

girlymonkey 19 Mar 2024
In reply to henwardian:

He will do it, but wants to check back through his emails to make sure he remembers what happened. 

Just so you know it's not forgotten!

youngtom 23 Mar 2024
In reply to henwardian:

Hi Henward, 

It's a frustrating system to get through. I never did get a straight answer on what the credit requirement was. They don't have enough people who know the system handling calls, so most of the time when you call their helpline you speak to an 'overflow' call centre who just say they'll get someone to call you back.

When I put in our application it failed on the credit check, according to the credit agency we were "good" as opposed to "excellent", I don't remember the exact numbers. The things that it was flagging was that we weren't yet on the electoral role and had a high credit card usage at that point, two things that surely must be pretty common when you've just moved house and are renovating it!

I struggled to get through to anyone on the phone who knew what to do and didn't get any response to emails, but by just keeping on calling back I eventually spoke to someone who could send me an appeals form. This asked for employment details and a break down of our spending, along with bank statements. After that we got approved for the funding, that application process took two and a bit months all together. It then took another two months for them to actually pay the deposit payment for the first bit of work.

Hope that's useful and not too daunting,

Tom

Post edited at 23:46

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...