UKC

Recommend me a lightweight fleece

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ebdon 22 Mar 2024

After my trusty Burghaus xtreme fleece was cut in half by mountain rescue last weekend I'm in the market for a replacement (allthough it will be a while before I can wear such a thing). Requirements are:

Hood

Thumbloops

Full length zip

Technical cut

Looks bling

I have more money than sense so spending £100+ on a fancy jumper seems perfectly acceptable to me. Anyone got any recommendations?

TobyA 22 Mar 2024
In reply to ebdon:

I really like my Alpkit Griffon, but that might be too cheap and not enough blingy for you! But, seriously they do work very very well as lightweight midlayer.

In reply to ebdon:

Patagonia R1 air or R1 techface.

both nice pieces. And you can safe in the knowledge that if MR chop them off you Patagonia will gladly sew them back together. 

I had an Alpkit Griffon - it’s a nice piece but the

fabric is cheap and bagged out fast. Buy cheap buy twice!

Mend fast!

Post edited at 13:23
 jezb1 22 Mar 2024
In reply to ebdon:

Has to be an R1 surely?! I’ve got a few of different ages and styles so I can’t remember which model has thumb loops etc.

johnlc 22 Mar 2024
In reply to ebdon:

Another vote for an Alpkit Griffon.  I love it.

For £100+, you could always buy two in different colours, cut them both in half up the back and stitch them together so that each one was in two colours?

OP ebdon 22 Mar 2024
In reply to TobyA:

I was about to reply saying Alpkit colours are really boring but having just looked looks like they've got some eurobling options. Well done alpkit

OP ebdon 22 Mar 2024
In reply to jezb1:

I don't know why, but I always had in my head R1s were quite bulky/baggy. Might have to controversially go into a shop to try one on...

Mal Grey 22 Mar 2024
In reply to Tom Ripley Mountain Guide:

This.

Love older R1 (grid fleece) not quite as keen on the newer R1 Air though it is warm (just feels a little stiffer and seems to me a little sweatier). Definitely superior to the Alpkit Griffon (have 2 of those too) which is good but does get baggy.

Summit Else 22 Mar 2024
In reply to ebdon:

Mountain Hardwear Mens Polartec Power Grid Hooded Jacket

https://www.sportpursuit.com/catalog/product/view/id/3606230

Polartec grid fleece, thumbloops, dead teckers and nifty in orange...

OP ebdon 22 Mar 2024
In reply to Summit Else:

Curse you, I had been banned from sports pursuit when freinds staged an intervention after looking though my kit cupboard, and I've just signed up again with several weeks if nothing to do but look at my phone!

TobyA 22 Mar 2024
In reply to ebdon:

> I don't know why, but I always had in my head R1s were quite bulky/baggy. Might have to controversially go into a shop to try one on...

I have an original R1 (non hoody). It's an amazing piece - it must be going on 20 years old, at least 15 - still looks like new, wear it with some neat jeans or similar and it's almost "smart"! But I've done tons of days not only ice climbing and ski touring in it, but also lots and lots of rock climbing where it has rubbed against granite and gritstone amongst other rocks, with absolutely no damage.

I don't think Tom's Griffon bagged out, I think he just got dead fit when he was doing all his guide training and he got skinny! But more seriously, with mine it that type of grid fleece fabric which doesn't really change much. The Griffon fabric is definitely a bit lighter than at least what my now old R1 is made off. I do have another techy grid fleece hoody made by MEC in Canada. It's now also quite old - that's probably somewhere inbetween the Patagonia and the Alpkit.

nathan79 22 Mar 2024

Can't speak for the R1 techface, but I've got an R1 hoody and a Griffon hoody. At RRP Id take the Griffon every single time, so unless there's a steal of a deal on the R1 I'd go Alpkit. Much slimmer fit on the Griffon is worth bearing in mind, mine is XXL Vs the R1s XL. Both bobbled quite quickly but it has no effect on performance.

Fleece is one area where I really don't feel it's worth spending £100+ when you can get something very worthwhile for much less.

Tyler 22 Mar 2024
In reply to ebdon:

I got a Griffon today (in a bright mustard colour) but I’m afraid it’s even further out of your price range than you thought as they are reduced to £45. 
I’ve also drank the Patagonia/Arctryx Cool Aid so usually buy that but am under no illusion that it’s more hard wearing or environmentally sound etc. 

In reply to nathan79:

The sleeve on the Griffon I had basically doubled in size in around a year of regular use. Whilst Patagonia tops I’ve had, have still kept their shape after years of regular use. 

Mal Grey 22 Mar 2024

Snap, again.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...