UKC

Best guidebook for Caley bouldering

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.

Morning all

Assuming the weather is playing ball, I'm off to Caley for a day or two over the bank holiday weekend for a spot of bouldering. Could anyone give me an answer for the best guidebook for the local area? I assume it would be Wired Guides Northern Rock but I wanted to check prior to pulling the trigger.

Cheers!

joeramsay 20 May 2024
In reply to Camerontaylor158:

I've not used the wired guide but the YMC Yorkshire Grit vol 1 guide is excellent for Caley, I would hazard that is more definitive than the Wired one

Cake 20 May 2024
In reply to joeramsay:

Yes, the above is correct

In reply to Cake:

Wonderful stuff, cheers both

Will Hunt 20 May 2024

Depends what you're after. YG vol1 has got definitive coverage but all the classics and more are in Northern Rock - plenty to keep you going for many weekends. I guess it depends whether the other stuff in NR (sport, Lancs, Northumberland, other Yorkshire grit crags) would be useful - if you wanted to boulder at Widdop you'd need to get vol2 as well but both are covered in Northern Rock.

gooberman-hill 20 May 2024

If I can remember it, the definitive Caley Bouldering guide was in one of the 1980's guidebooks, and was written by a local legend. IIRC it went something like this:

"Take yourself up to a convenient vantage point, for example the top of High Noon. Below you, you will see a myriad of boulders. Go forth and climb them all. Do not neglect even the least one, for they are all gems."

Sam Beaton 20 May 2024
In reply to gooberman-hill:

Anyone remember Benign Bumbles, Masterful Manoeuvres and Critical Concoctions?

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...