UKC

500 Internal Server Error on UKC

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 owlart 22 May 2024

Is anyone else repeatedly seeing the error "500 Internal Server Error - nginx" when viewing UKC? I'm getting it multiple times a day whether from work or from home. Click refresh and it usually then loads the page, but occasionally several refreshes are required.

Dave Todd 22 May 2024
In reply to owlart:

Yep, loads...even trying to open your thread...which is kind of appropriate.

Post edited at 14:15

Jon Read 22 May 2024
In reply to owlart:

Yes.

Lankyman 22 May 2024
In reply to owlart:

Yes and I think it's been featured in the sticky 'UKC site updates' thread above.

OP owlart 22 May 2024
In reply to Lankyman:

Ahh, so maybe it's a "feature" rather than a "bug" then!

whenry 22 May 2024
In reply to owlart:

Yes, lots.

Doug 22 May 2024
In reply to owlart:

Several times a day, sometimes more, for at least a week. Just this website.

Rick51 22 May 2024
In reply to owlart:

Multiple times here too. Also getting photos in logbook not opening with an error message saying try again later but they usually open with a refresh.

magma 22 May 2024
In reply to owlart:

500 error seems to be like the service light of my car- any number of reasons can trigger it..

Post edited at 15:41
 Myfyr Tomos 22 May 2024
In reply to owlart:

Yep, same here.

In reply to owlart:

Sorry about this everyone. We've been looking into these problems. Hopefully shouldn't take too long to get to the bottom of it.

In reply to owlart:

> Ahh, so maybe it's a "feature" rather than a "bug" then!

Not so much. Feedback from the UKC bods has been that it seems to happen when the site is being aggressively scraped by bots. From the site updates thread it looks like letting them know when it’s particularly bad has been helpful in allowing them to check the site logs and try to make some tweaks to prevent it. 

Offwidth 22 May 2024
In reply to Stuart Williams:

On a related topic...

I've noticed a big increase in UKC forum thread inclusion in my Google targeted 'click bait' suggested links... I used to get none of these until this year,  now it's often one or two out of about 50.

Luke90 22 May 2024
In reply to Offwidth:

> Google targeted 'click bait' suggested links

Not sure exactly what you're referring to here?

Alkis 22 May 2024
In reply to Offwidth:

Google Search has pretty much intentionally been broken by Google themselves in recent years, in hope of more ad revenue, so I wouldn’t pay too much attention to that. Here’s a fun article to read: https://www.wheresyoured.at/the-men-who-killed-google/

In reply to Alkis:

Ah: more enshitification...

dmurphy 27 May 2024
In reply to owlart:

You can't register as a new user at the moment because of this error. I know someone who has been trying all afternoon to set up an account.

In reply to dmurphy:

The registration problem was a separate issue that unfortunately presented itself is a similar way on the frontend.

There shouldn't be any problems registering new accounts now. Apologies for the hassle with this.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...