UKC

Recommendations for a 3 day sport climbing and scrambling trip

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 HarryPink 22 May 2024

Hi all, I'm heading to North Wales from this Sunday to Wednesday morning - I am a confident sport climber and alpine climber (having climbed a decent amount in Chamonix). One of the friends joining is a safe outdoor climber but doesn't climb much higher than a 5b-5c with another friend coming for his first climbing trip. 

Does anyone have any recommendations of sport climbing areas ideally in North Wales as well as a day of higher grade scrambling (ideally roped up as wanting to introduced them to some roped stuff) or anything else you'd suggest to do in our few days as it's our first time in North Wales. 

Thanks in Advance

In reply to HarryPink:

Some reasonable sport on slate near Llanberis at the grades you mention.

Road Runner Crag, near Conwy, (on ukc database) has a selection of routes across the grades, tho I've not sampled their delights so can't comment on quality.

Also Castle Inn Quarry close by Colwyn Bay.

Routes on west face of Tryfan should work well for roped-up scrambling (eg Wrinkled Tower, Milestone Approach, Rowan Route, Notch Arete).

Also Tryfan Fach has a selection of easy routes (scrambles, mods, diffs) that might meet your requirements 

kaiser 24 May 2024
In reply to buxtoncoffeelover:

Bank Holiday weekend!!  If going to Ogwen, arrive before 8.00am to park and Tryfan Fach will be super busy so I would avoid that.

Slate for sport sounds goods

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...