UKC

Best place to take a friend outdoor bouldering in and around Bristol

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 jo mt 26 May 2024

Hi,

I was wondering where the best place to take my friend outdoor bouldering for the first time (she can climb up to 6a+) in and around the Bristol area would be.

I have the Esoteric bouldering in the Bristol region guidebook and have already been doing some climbing from that as well as quite a bit in the frome valley area.

But I still don’t know where the best place to take her would be.

Any ideas?

pencilled in 26 May 2024
In reply to jo mt:

I take my kids to Hanham Woods fairly often; it’s not packed with classics but there’s plenty to offer Avon Valley Sandstone in that range. 

OP jo mt 26 May 2024
In reply to pencilled in: Thanks,will give it a go.

Kemics 26 May 2024
In reply to jo mt:

maybe a half hour drive (depending on which bit of bristol you're in) gets you to  Sally in the Woods. It only has a tiny selection of boulders but i think they surprisingly good quality. There's a 6a up the front of the combine boulder which is really class. 

...or if you want a great day out. Take the hit of a 2 hour drive and get to Bone Hill rocks on dartmoor

OP jo mt 27 May 2024
In reply to Kemics:

Thanks, 

sounds good was thinking of Dartmoor as an option and sally in the woods sounds great.

PaulJepson 27 May 2024
In reply to jo mt:

Huckford Quarry is a nice place to spend a session. 

HarryJohnston 28 May 2024
In reply to jo mt:

Sally in the woods is a great spot to for a day of bouldering. Lots of problems through the grades and they are reasonably close together so easy to get between them

leland stamper 29 May 2024
In reply to jo mt:

South of Bristol (30 mins drive)

Ubley warren is glorious in the sun . Take a picnic. Buy cider afterwards

Weston super mare - Toll Road for a range of grades or Knightstone boulder wall with cafe and ice creams attached

OP jo mt 02 Jun 2024
In reply to PaulJepson:

Sounds nice will try it.

OP jo mt 02 Jun 2024
In reply to leland stamper:

Think im going to go to Ubley Warren thanks for the idea.

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...