UKC

Rucsac Alterations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Jim W 01 Nov 2001
Over the past couple of seasons searched the shops of the UK and Europe (well Chamonix, Zermatt and La Grave anyway) for the ultimate winter rucsac. The best I have found is the POD CRAGSAC.

But this isn't exactly right and needed some amendments. The fabric is good and the sac is well made. It doesn't have any daisy chains which is good (have you ever seriously used then -just extra weight). Floating Lid. 50 ltr capacity. Relativly cheep. Light. No frame. But as I said it needed the following ammendments:

1. Not fitted with any top ice axe holders. I know that we all carry them in the side compression straps but what happens when you have a tent and carry map. Solution sewed some on

2. No front haul loop, suprisingly useful, solution sewed on along with ice axe holders.

3. It came with elastic at front, why? solution cut off.

4. No gear holders on hip belt, solution sewed some on.

Does anyone know of a rucsac that has this and more as standard, surly someone has made one?
 TobyA 01 Nov 2001
In reply to Jim W: why would you put your mat on the side where it totally screws your arm mobility and not under the elastics on the front of the sac? I've found the elastic on my macpac quite useful like that, plus if you are carrying skis you need your mat somewhere else.
OP gg 01 Nov 2001
In reply to JimW:
Macpacs have most of what your looking for as has the pod black ice, though nobody fits packs with glenmore axe loops any more- marmot used to but have since changed.
Mattress 01 Nov 2001
In reply to gg:

Pardon my ignorance:

What are Glenmore axe loops?
Ben 02 Nov 2001
In reply to Jim W:

At the risk of me ranting on about how great TNF gear is again (I know I'm a minority)...

I have a TNF Liberty (okay so its only 45ltrs) but it has ice axe loops, gear loops on the waist belt etc, and v hard wearing.

ta,

Ben.
OP gg 02 Nov 2001
In reply to Mattress: Glenmore axe loops are top loading tool holders- basically a loop of webbing attached near the top of the sac in much the same place as you find the buckle for conventional axe holders. Then all you do is drop the tools shaft first into these loops- main advantages are that you don't spike the person walking behind you as all the sharp bits point downwards and it's possible to access them quick without removing the pack- problems- tools can drop out if you throw the sac around too much.... though marmot had a nice solution to this, and it delays you on crowded alpine routes because everybody asks what they are ......

g
Jim W 02 Nov 2001
In reply to Ben:

My climbing partner has a liberty. Its crap, the buckles break, the pack is uncomfortable (even when loaded with purely rope!), there are far to many straps on it. The more straps you have the more weight you carry and, more importantly, they catch on every rock egde in a 2m radius. They also flap about everywhere.

So in conclusion, your opinion is valid but wrong.
 Ricky Martin 02 Nov 2001
In reply to Jim W: POD's Black Ice has all these features. it just a larger version of the cragsac (53ltr as oposed to 47ltrs size 3) with the features mention + internal plattypus holder and removable hib belt.

POD Sacs also have removeble shock cord axe holders think the carled SCARL which you put through the top webbing loops holing the bungie cord on the front
stonemaster 02 Nov 2001
In reply to Jim W: I use a Black Diamond which has most of the features you mention.
Kevin Stephens 02 Nov 2001
In reply to stonemaster:
I have a very old Alpiniste, bought with metal buckles. Couldn't afford a new sack so I bought some lengths of climbing tape, modern buckles etc and got my local cobbler to stitch and rivet them on. I now have all of the features I need at minimum cost
stonemaster 05 Nov 2001
In reply to Kevin Stephens: You guys must know some tame cobblers. Mine charged me 12 squids just to put a buckle back on the waist belt. Almost made me take up sewing....
Jim W 06 Nov 2001
In reply to stonemaster: Find your loacl chandlrey (sailing shop) and ask for a bosuns palm and some sail needles. These are a great bits of kit that allow you to repair all your own kit for next to bugger all.
stonemaster 06 Nov 2001
In reply to Jim W: Top tip. Owe you a beer.
Jim W 06 Nov 2001
In reply to stonemaster: Which tip?

I have loads of stupid ideas for alterations to kit, long bivi's make you think. For example why don't salopette designers fix a peice of cordora half way down the thight of the salapettes. This why stop a lot of damage from ice screws!

Balaclava's: sew a peice of fleece material to the base so it dangles down your front (tuck it inside your jacket) this way every time you look up you are not exposing your neck to the delites of scotland.

Anyone got anymore simple ideas?
OP hoarmaster 12 Nov 2001
In reply to Jim W: I'm with you on that one, I had a Liberty a couple of years back, it lasted about a month, bits just fell off, buckles broke, it was really uncomfortable, In fairness TNF replaced it but with a polar circus........now that was a mistake...
H
OP John P McLoughlin 13 Nov 2001
In reply to Jim W:

Guys & Gals - Here's some links to equipment modification:

http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Forest/7290/climb/tac/apB.html

http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Forest/7290/climb/gear.html

hope this helps

John
 Mattyk 13 Nov 2001
In reply to John P McLoughlin: Nice webpage cheers - excellent ideas esp. re: gear racking!
James 27 Nov 2001
In reply to Jim W: wouldn't catch me asking for a bosuns palm...
 sutty 27 Nov 2001
In reply to Jim W: I have a radical solution, write to Pod with the spec you want and ask for it to be incorporated in your sack, professional job and custom built for a few quid more. He can only say no if he doesnt like it.
daniel 28 Nov 2001
In reply to sutty: tell us what Pod say (and how much they charge you!) if you do ask them to make you a custom sack!

Daniel
Ben 28 Nov 2001
In reply to Jim W:

I can't remember the model name but there is one in the Aiguille range that has similar spec. to what you mention.

The comments I have heard from friends who have them are particularly impressive.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...