UKC

NEWSFLASH: 9a+ Redpoint and 8b+ Onsight by Michaela Kiersch

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 UKC News 12 Apr 2024

US climber Michaela Kiersch has redpointed Victima Perfecta 9a+ at Margalef, Catalunya. She also onsighted Crimptonite 8b+ at Oliana, her hardest onsight to date, planetmountain.com reports.

Read more

Ian Dunn 14 Apr 2024
In reply to UKC News:

Anak Verhoeven has redpointed 9a+ and onsighted 8c 

Luke90 14 Apr 2024
In reply to Ian Dunn:

Either UKC have already updated the article or I think you misunderstood the claim they were making. The article currently says...

> Michaela was the first—and remains the only—woman in the world to climb both 9a+ and 8B+.

Note the capital letter in that second grade. It's a Font bouldering grade.

They could perhaps have made it slightly clearer, given that the article prominently refers to a recent 8b+ sport onsight, but it doesn't seem incorrect.

Post edited at 12:00
 Fellover 14 Apr 2024
In reply to UKC News:

Cool stuff.

Was it ever resolved whether Open your mind direct was 9a+ when Ashima did it? I remember it was widely reported at 9a+, but then there was some noise that actually it was 9a (not that I could tell the difference!). Just thinking that she's also climbed >= 8B+ boulder.

Ian Dunn 14 Apr 2024
In reply to Fellover:

Ashima has climbed 8c boulder Horizon in Mount Hiei when she was 15 and done both Open Your Mind Direct 9a/9a+ was the grade when she did it and Ciudad de Dios 9a/9a+ in 2014/15 when she was 14. 

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...