UKC

NEWS: Dean Potter "BASE Solos" Eiger Route

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 10 Aug 2008
Dean Potter has made a "BASE solo" (or FreeBASE) of Deep Blue Sea (7b+, 300m, Rathmaier-Ruhstaller, 2001) on the west side of the north face of The Eiger, Switzerland.

More with photos: http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/older.html?month=08&year=2008#n45251
 Adam Lincoln 10 Aug 2008
In reply to UKC News:

"It may be the first time anyone has set out to free solo a route at the edge of their ability with only a B.A.S.E. parachute."

I am sure 7b+ is not Dean Potters limit!
 Michael Ryan 10 Aug 2008
In reply to Adam Lincoln:
> (In reply to UKC News)

> I am sure 7b+ is not Dean Potters limit!

Just how sure are you Adam?

It is not made clear whether this was onsight (which if it was, it must be close to his limit) or soloed after practice (in which case it would be below his limit).

Adam Lincoln 10 Aug 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:
> (In reply to Adam Lincoln)
> [...]
>
>
> [...]
>
> Just how sure are you Adam?
>
> It is not made clear whether this was onsight (which if it was, it must be close to his limit) or soloed after practice (in which case it would be below his limit).

I man of Deans Potters stature! I am sure he has climbed harder. I'll have a google....

Adam Lincoln 10 Aug 2008

A five second google proves my point.
http://www.broadbandsports.com/node/4180
 Michael Ryan 10 Aug 2008

Yes Adam we are aware of that. But I think you will find that Dean had previously led Heaven, it wasn't onsight.

I will find out for you.

All the best,

Mick
 Adam Lincoln 10 Aug 2008

You can't argue though that the news report leads you to BELIEVE its at his limit, one way or another. If it was a report for a non climbing website people might not question it.
 Michael Ryan 10 Aug 2008

I'm not arguing or trying to prove a point.

As I said, I'll try and find out if it was an onsight, if it was, it is fairly close to his onsight limit, although he has climbed harder after practice.

This one of the points of BASE Solos I believe. Your safety net is not the engrams gained from practice, but your BASE rig.
 Adam Lincoln 10 Aug 2008

I know Tim and Leo were after doing a similar thing on El Cap. They were trying to simulate falling off at funny angles and recovering when parachuting to help them. Not sure if they still intend to do it, maybe after the Potter thing they might.
morphus 10 Aug 2008
In reply to UKC News: more photos of the route @ flickr.com/photos/adipics/sets/1036333/
 Jon Read 11 Aug 2008
> I am sure 7b+ is not Dean Potters limit!

I see your point Adam, but would argue that soloing 7b+ in THAT situation (with BASEkit) might well be just under his limit. Huber soloed something equivalent in the Dolemites didn't he? It's not like these are regular occurances; there are a lot of people theoretically capable of such feats (including you I dare say), but they aren't doing them -- is it too far above their limit?

PhilE 12 Aug 2008
In reply to Jon Read:

Also, Deep Blue Sea is not your ordinary 7b+. A number of friends of mine tried it and some bailed (and they comfortably climb 7b+) others did it and thought it is very hard for the grade. And the exposure is just amazing. Would like to know as well whether it was onsight...
 Michael Ryan 12 Aug 2008
In reply to PhilE:

Peter Mortimer got back to UKClimbing.com and said there was some previewing, to what extent he doesn't know. He said he would find out off Dean and report back.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...