UKC

FRI NIGHT VID: Don Whillans' Last Climb

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 24 Apr 2020
Brown and Whillans Last Climb

This week's Friday Night Video is Don Whillans and Joe Brown's last climb together in 1985. The pair tackle Cemetary Gates on Dinas Cromlech, 33 years after they made the first ascent. 

Read more
 Lankyman 24 Apr 2020
In reply to UKC News:

This is probably nit-picking but didn't he actually die on Cloggy climbing a route with Bill Peascod? Heart attack on a stance if I remember correctly.

elliptic 24 Apr 2020
In reply to Lankyman:

Other way round - Bill Peascod had the heart attack and died on the first pitch of Great Slab just after Don had led it. Don then died in his sleep a few months later. 

Tom Valentine 24 Apr 2020
In reply to elliptic:

I like the Brown /Whillans video but I enjoyed the Bonigton /Peascod  episode of Lakeland Rock  a lot more.

I  seem to remember them actually using socks and combined tactics and I'm pretty sure Bill used the F word at one point, not really the done thing in 1980s documentaries ( not that I am endorsing profanity on the crag in any way, shape or form...)

Edit: just watched a shortened version again on You Tube. Excellent stuff, well filmed and some nice insights, particularly his wife's reported comment about his painting. The bit where he really was in extremis was edited out, which is a pity .

If you've never done Eagle Front it doesn;t show the route in the best light but don't let that put you off.

Post edited at 20:05
 Lankyman 24 Apr 2020
In reply to elliptic:

Thanks - at least I got the crag right!

Tom Valentine 25 Apr 2020
In reply to Tom Valentine:

You Tube also has Whillans and Bonington doing Dovedale Groove , Pt 2 of Lakeland Rock I think.

Once again it's pretty riveting stuff: Bonington leads it in plimsolls using a Viking No4 tied round his waist, and regrets his choice of footwear high on the route,  a muttered expletive being quite audible.

Whillans just about copes but I suspect he would have succumbed to a heart attack topping out if he'd seen the spike belay that his leader supposedly brought him up on.

Never been there but it looks like a frighteningly steep crag for antics like this!

Post edited at 08:38
 Blake 25 Apr 2020
In reply to UKC News:

"Is that helmet to protect your head, or to keep your fag dry?"

Always cracks me up. Brilliant.

cragtyke 26 Apr 2020
In reply to Tom Valentine:

http://footlesscrow.blogspot.com/2015/06/don-whillansclimbing-like-ruptured...

Interesting account by Alan Hankinson of the filming of the Dovedale Groove episode.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...