UKC

NEWS: Emma Twyford Onsights F8a

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 25 Oct 2010
Emma Twyford lowering off after her successful onsight of Aegialis (F7c), Kalymnos, 3 kbBritish climber Emma Twyford is currently on the island of Kalymnos, Greece.

Ten days in to her three week trip, on Friday 22nd of October, she managed to onsight the 40m tufa-fest of Fun de Chinhunne (F8a) in the famous Grande Grotta.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=58510

beardy mike 25 Oct 2010
In reply to UKC News: I just noticed she was on the route for 2 HOURS! Man alive that's stamina - there must be some decent rests?
 Skyfall 25 Oct 2010
In reply to mike kann:

I did get complimented by someone at the crag once as he was so impressed for how long I was on the route. I noted that he didn't mention he was impressed by the grade. I wish I could recall what route it was but it was some mid grade trad route and not hard - he was definitely in irony mode!

Anyway, I did read the report with interest as well. Well done Emma.
 The Pylon King 25 Oct 2010
In reply to UKC News:

......and yet another lowering off into space shot. It's a real shame there is no news of somebody climbing Gargoyle Flake at Bamford.
 Adam Lincoln 25 Oct 2010
In reply to Dark Mavis:
> (In reply to UKC News)
>
>
> ......and yet another lowering off into space shot. It's a real shame there is no news of somebody climbing Gargoyle Flake at Bamford.

What does it taste like being so bitter?
 Hammy 25 Oct 2010
In reply to UKC News: I think these photos are truely inspirational - thanks Fos. Kalymnos here we come!
 Guy Atkinson 25 Oct 2010
In reply to UKC News:
I swear i've seen her working in a sandwich shop near sheffield hallam city campus..
 samoflak 26 Oct 2010
two hours on a route.. an overhanging one. how is that even possible, there must be a seat up there somewhere
 Toerag 26 Oct 2010
In reply to samoflak:
> two hours on a route.. an overhanging one. how is that even possible, there must be a seat up there somewhere

I would guess she wedged herself behind a stalactite.
 oem_uk 26 Oct 2010
In reply to Guy Atkinson: Think you may be right i thought i has seen her in the climbing wall. Quick google of her name and she is from Sheffield Hallam Uni, apparently.

??
 beardy mike 26 Oct 2010
In reply to JonC: That is what I was impressed about though - 2 hours onsighting at 8a is flippin nuts! Either she is supermans sister, or she's got the stamina of a very staminaish thing!
 catt 26 Oct 2010
In reply to mike kann:

I believe it has some excellent rests. One of the routes there, and I think it was this one, was described to me as having a 'bench' tufa you could sit on. But it is a monster of a route, and completely bonkers to see someone on. And crux at the very end! Good effort!
 Dan Arkle 26 Oct 2010
Although I don't know about this route, lots of Kalymnos Tufa-fests have full on sit down rests on stalagtites, not to mention the bridging rests, bear hugs, knee bars, head jams and arm locks.
The key strategy for success is finding the right rests and using them for the right length of time. A fabulous effort -well done.
 Franco Cookson 26 Oct 2010
In reply to UKC News:

bon efforto. Looks ace, agree with that grumpy chap about the lowering-off shots, but looks like an amazing route and the other pictures are most excellent.
 bridget143 26 Oct 2010
In reply to UKC News:
Nice one Emma!
 Yanis Nayu 26 Oct 2010
In reply to UKC News: She was lowering off? I thought she was being fired out of a volcano!
 andyb211 26 Oct 2010
In reply to UKC News: Excellent effort Emma, enjoy the rest of your trip, Andy x
 carl dawson 26 Oct 2010
Brilliant Emma... really well done... you've really inspired Ruth. And nice to chat to you both up at Ghost Kitchen today. Hope you get some more good routes this week (... and Arhi does get less soapy as the day goes by, honest!)

Carl and Ruth

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...