UKC

NEWS: Evolution (8c+) and two 8c's for Mat Wright

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 24 Sep 2019
Mat Wright - Evolution Thumbnail 21-year-old Mat Wright has climbed Evolution (8c+), Devolution (8c) and Mecca Extension (8c), all at Raven Tor. The Walsall based youngster had been attempting the rarely repeated Evolution since last year, although believed he wasn't quite strong enough at that point. This year he started afresh and completed the route in roughly ten sessions.

Read more
 MischaHY 24 Sep 2019
In reply to UKC News:

I'd be interested to know what his sporting background is - gymnastics, perhaps? There must have been a serious conditioning base for him to be getting up routes like that so fast. 

Josh Lewis 24 Sep 2019
In reply to UKC News:

Great effort Mat!

In reply to UKC News:

Impressive stuff indeed. 

Wonder if he's looked at Gaskin's VNB? I think that would be the crown of short bouldery routes, even if it is in a grotty hole in the ground! Has it had a repeat? 

In reply to MischaHY:

My background is I swapped between weight training and downhill mountain biking. Happy to answer any questions that you might have

TobyA 24 Sep 2019
In reply to MathewWright1998:

> Happy to answer any questions that you might have

My question is, coming from the West Midlands, is your haircut deliberately or accidentally a homage to the Peaky Blinders?

Well done! In the video you make it look positively straightforward which is quite ridiculous when you look at the actual "holds".

In reply to TobyA:

Funnily enough I've never watched a single episode, though I've had that from a few people and find it quite amusing! 

Thank you, I had it very wired and felt strong on it when the conditions were good! 

MischaHY 24 Sep 2019

Solid conditioning base and high grip strength - makes sense! I also cheated my way into decent finger strength quite quickly due to riding downhill a lot previously. 

Andy Farnell 24 Sep 2019

You're too modest. The conditions were okay at best, you just rinsed it. 

Andy F

Michael Hood 24 Sep 2019

Nice one.

The fact that you subsequently managed to quickly "stumble" up 2 8c's suggests to me that you weren't trying hard enough

Please go and nail 2nd ascent of Mutation, it's about time it was done.

Jackob 24 Sep 2019
In reply to UKC News:

Very impressive stuff good effort!

How often are you climbing outdoors compared to training indoors and how long have you been 'seriously' training for?

Also how long was it between your 1st 8a tick and this ascent of mutation?

sfletch 01 Oct 2019
In reply to UKC News:

Doing Mecca extension in 2 goes is surely the quickest it’s ever been done? Very impressive. I know people who’ve spent months just trying Mecca never mind the extension as well.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...