UKC

NEWS: Good Day for Pearson - E8, E8, E9

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 30 May 2012
James Pearson - My Piano, 4 kbJames Pearson, Caroline Ciavaldini, Hazel Findlay and Hansjorg Auer have now finished their 'Odyssey' around the UK.

In terms of 'grades' perhaps the most successful day of the trip was at Nesscliffe, when James Pearson racked up an astonishing E8 flash, E8 onsight and E9 headpoint in a single day.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=67151

Tyler 30 May 2012
In reply to UKC News:

Good write up, its a shame Nesscliffe turned out to be the last climbing day of the trip, I thought there was more to come after that?
 jacobjacob 30 May 2012
In reply to UKC News:

Where in Pembroke is The Jackals? I can't find it on the UKC logbook system.
 tony 30 May 2012
In reply to Tyler:
> (In reply to UKC News)
>
> Good write up, its a shame Nesscliffe turned out to be the last climbing day of the trip, I thought there was more to come after that?

Me too. I thought they were coming to Scotland?
 abarro81 30 May 2012
In reply to jacobjacob:
Looks from the pic like it's about 60ft left of point blank...
 John2 30 May 2012
In reply to jacobjacob: Stennis Ford. It's Ben Bransby's free version of a line that Gary Gibson originally bolted.
Dom Bush 30 May 2012
In reply to jacobjacob: We headed back to the lakes after Nesscliffe and spent the last day at Pavey Ark, filming Hazel on Sixpence and James on Impact Day.

Scotland was scheduled for the beginning of the trip but sadly the weather had big plans!
 Tyler 30 May 2012
In reply to Land and Sky Media:

Cool, I didn't notice anything on Twitter, did they get up them or do we have to wait for another news article?
Dom Bush 30 May 2012
In reply to Tyler: yup they did, not sure why they aren't in the report.
 Wft 30 May 2012
In reply to Land and Sky Media: Did James P flash Impact day?
Dom Bush 30 May 2012
In reply to GuyVG: Very nearly!
 Wft 30 May 2012
In reply to Land and Sky Media: good effort trying
 jack_eadie 30 May 2012
In reply to UKC News: Its not a tour of the uk is it? Fair play to them but poor show for not coming to bonny Scotland.
 GrahamD 30 May 2012
In reply to jack_eadie:

Or NI for that matter
 Tyler 30 May 2012
In reply to jack_eadie:

> Its not a tour of the uk is it? Fair play to them but poor show for not coming to bonny Scotland.

"Scotland was scheduled for the beginning of the trip but sadly the weather had big plans!" To be honest I don't think many would be psyched by a film of top climbers climbing VSes in the rain
 220bpm 30 May 2012
In reply to Tyler: Well get the wording right then. Its not much to ask. Roll on 2014.
 Alejandro S 30 May 2012
In reply to Tyler: nice one idiot, the hardest trad routes in the world are in scotland.
 JDal 30 May 2012
In reply to Tyler:
> (In reply to jack_eadie)
>
> [...]
>
> "Scotland was scheduled for the beginning of the trip but sadly the weather had big plans!" To be honest I don't think many would be psyched by a film of top climbers climbing VSes in the rain

Why VS's???

I saw a film on tv years ago with Whillance on Raven Crag, Thirlmere, in the rain "training" on on some E4. The banter between reporter and Pete went something like "Does climbing in the rain make much difference"? "Nah, you just drop a grade".

Then, of course, there was Tim Emmetts epic last pitch on the Strone Ulladale live broadcast.

Great stuff.
 Dr.S at work 30 May 2012
In reply to 220bpm:
> (In reply to Tyler) Well get the wording right then. Its not much to ask. Roll on 2014.

well frankly, since they did not plan any climbing in nottinghamshire it could not be called a tour of the UK even if they did go to scotland.
man up FFS.
 Sam Mayfield 30 May 2012
In reply to JDal:

2007 Hard rock routes ticked by Rich mayfield and Mark Stevenson, most in the rain! :0)

Sam the driver and chef!!
Tass1 31 May 2012
In reply to JDal:

Poor journalism all round anyway. As they say, "facts, facts, facts". A trip to Wales and a couple of English crags is hardly an "Odyssey around the UK". Unless you're a webpage editor based in London.

Man up next time James and give Dave MacLeod a call.

Seriously though, all round good effort by all.
 TobyA 31 May 2012
In reply to Alejandro S:
> nice one idiot, the hardest trad routes in the world are in scotland.

You seem to be the one with difficulty understanding what quotations marks mean.

In reply to UKC News: How an earth can it be called a Trip around the UK. The went to Wales, and 2 other crags. Why doesnt anyone come to the SW and repeat the stuff down here.....
 @ndyM@rsh@ll 31 May 2012
In reply to UKC News: How can it be called a trip round the uk, when they didn't get in a boat, and go AROUND it?!
 mcdougal 01 Jun 2012
In reply to UKC News:

Two E8 insights and an E9 in a day are obviously irrelevant because they didn't care to go to Scotland to sit in a van and watch the rain.

Does anyone care about huge climbing achievements?

Well done, everyone.
 krank 01 Jun 2012
In reply to mcdougal:
> Does anyone care about huge climbing achievements?

you realise where you are, right.

mcdougal 01 Jun 2012
In reply to krank:

Well, I was in Chester when I posted this morning and I'm in Newcastle now ;p

I'd just love to see a news story about fantastic achievements like these that isn't then followed by a load of sniping about the personalities/journalism/hair colour of the people involved.
In reply to UKC News: The weather has actually been pretty decent up here in Scotland recently! Shame they didn't make it to Dumby. The challenge of an onsight ascent of Requiem (the first E8 and surely one of the best looking lines in the UK) remains...a very impressive ticklist all the same!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...