UKC

PODCAST: Jam Crack Podcast

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 06 Dec 2016
Jam Crack, 4 kbWe asked Niall Grimes to give us a run down of his favourite podcasts which he has recorded, since he started the popular 'Jam Crack' series.

Read more
 Wft 06 Dec 2016
In reply to UKC Articles:

A great addition to modern climbing media and a welcome change of style from other climbing podcasts.

Thanks for doing this, Niall

Martin Bagshaw 06 Dec 2016

Looking forward to listening to this, the US Enormocast he mentions in the article is great.
 Si_G 06 Dec 2016
In reply to Wood for Trees:

I really look forward to each new episode being released.
Only criticism would be Niall criticising himself
If folk think you're blathering on, they can skip it. Just do what feels right.
 bensilvestre 06 Dec 2016

I particularly enjoy the blathering sections
 Offwidth 06 Dec 2016

I sat wishing that Tommy and Niall might climb out the window or hide in a closet to avoid being 'handled'. I've laughed nearly cried and sometime both at the same time. The spirit of what climbing is comes through in full measure. So, since these things impact in the way good art should: thank goodness Niall has such faults that leads him to waste his life to keep mere climbers amused (and of course the 0.01% of the UK population informed by guidebooks from his day job)
 Tom Last 06 Dec 2016

Love Jam Crack, some of these are instant classics. The one that made me laugh most was the motivational "do an E9" skit I think.

The Enormocast is absolutely great too, mostly US centric but some Euro stuff on there. Fantastic stuff on both that an Jam Crack and collectively more than enough material to cover a winter's worth of trips north and back. Of the Enormocast episodes the early Cerro Torre episodes with Haydn Kennedy and anything with Kelly Cordes are all brilliant.
 ehole 06 Dec 2016

I love jam crack podcast. It has replaced music on my way to work. I even tried playing it at work today but i got funny looks and turned it off. One episode of jam crack is infinitely more inspiring, interesting and genuine than most of the videos out at the moment.

Niall, if you're reading this, my favourite has to be 'The View from Dead Horse Point'. Great literature and the narrator's accent is a wild ride in itself.

Any chance you could try to get Andy Popp to do something? He's a hero of mine and the words he wrote for a magazine article on Cheshire sandstone a few years back were such a breath of fresh air compared to the normal magazine bobbins we get served. I think he'd make a great podcast.

Cheers for making it,

Evan
 deacondeacon 06 Dec 2016
Big Ron please Niall!Big Ron please Niall!Big Ron please Niall!Big Ron please Niall!Big Ron please Niall!Big Ron please Niall!Big Ron please Niall!Big Ron please Niall!Big Ron please Niall!Big Ron please Niall!Big Ron please Niall!Big Ron please Niall!Big Ron please Niall!
Big Ron please Niall!Big Ron please Niall!
 AP Melbourne 06 Dec 2016
In reply to deacondeacon:

Big Ron please Niall!Big Ron please Niall!

> Big Ron please Niall!Big Ron please Niall!

YES! And Jerry too please Niall.
 James Oswald 07 Dec 2016
Excellent idea - and maybe Joe Brown?

Clauso 07 Dec 2016
In reply to James Oswald:

Bear Grylls - Master of Movement - please.
 Wft 07 Dec 2016
In reply to AP Melbourne:

Would you be up for doing a Jam Crack interview Andy?
 Niall Grimes 07 Dec 2016
Thanx for the +ve vibes all. It's been a fun waste of time and money.

Cheers Woody, nice to do something different.

Ben and Si, ok, will stop flagellating myself for blethering x

Thanks Offwidth, you have had the same effect on me, only I've cried so much i almost laughed

Good call on the Enormocast episodes TL. Kelly was great, huh?

ehole Wasnt The View amazing? I've tried to get Chris to record another, just for his voice. The Popp would be a good call, although he's in America.

Deacondeacon It's no good just generally saying you want interviews. You have to suggest someone. Who man, who?

JamesO JB... Hmmmm. There's a story there. You never know.

Andy P - yeh would aim to do Jerry, but along with Ben, both pissed.

Niall x

simes303 07 Dec 2016

The Ape Index sessions were really good.
Si.
 Niall Grimes 07 Dec 2016
In reply to simes303:

They were a hoot, huh?
 andi turner 07 Dec 2016
In reply to Niall Grimes:

I'd love you to hunt down Johnny Woodward. Did he and his bro really think that guidebooks gave routes in order of difficulty? Where did he leave his aid magnifying glass? etc...
 lex 07 Dec 2016

Aye, the Jamcrack podcasts are ace. Really look forward to listening, both to the main point of the week and Nialls introduction, however long they are.
It's really refreshing to hear normal chats with interesting people. The latest with Jen Randal was the perfect example, incisive but relaxed.
A while ago I even suggested he chat to Martin Boysen and a few weeks later, there he was. It's like a request show!
Cheers, Niall, your efforts are most appreciated,
Lex
 slab_happy 08 Dec 2016

If we're making suggestions -- got to have a Johnny Dawes interview at some point, surely?
 Niall Grimes 08 Dec 2016
In reply to slab_happy: That just reminded me of the launch for the Peak Rock bok in the Climbing Works *shudder*

Deri Jones 08 Dec 2016

More please and the 1:20 length ones are great - John Redhead discussing the North stack Wall while leaving Holyhead and Catherine Destiville cruising in to Dublin fills the ferry trip perfectly
Nick Dixon would be fascinating as a counterpoint to the John R/Johny D Great Wall show, some of the Scottish folk putting up hard stuff back in the 80's- Cubby, Murray Hamilton, Graham Livingston etc. Any Irish scene heroes/dark horses you feel should be better known? Dave Turnbull as a climber rather than the BMC corporate bod? More writers reading their short stories/ chapters - the Paul Pritchard one was ace. Some of the gear designers/sellers - Fred Hall, Ben Lyon, Pete Hutchinson, Martin Atkinson etc?
You can be Indiana Grimes, fearlessly excavating the more esoteric parts of climbing history - you've got the modern day version of Games Climbers Play and Mirrors in the Cliffs with these podcasts - the enthusiasm shines through with minimal corporate BS.
Cheers!
 Shapeshifter 09 Dec 2016

Having reached the tender age of 52, I'd never been bothered to listen to a single podcast by anybody before.
But what a way to start - loved Paul Pritchard and Lucy Creamer, but View from Deadhorse is in another league....brilliant brilliant.

Thanks Niall, you've made the journey to work just about bearable. More power to your elbow.

P.S. Big Ron and Jerry please.
 Niall Grimes 09 Dec 2016
Yo Lex, pleasure to be of service

Thanks Deri. I have actually just recorded Rab C doing some reading - out soon. And the person I'd so love to get is Calvin Torrans. Get my own back on him, although I'm not sure for what

Welcome to podcasts Shapy, glad you're enjoying them. Big Ron and JMCoolJ are deffos for the furure.

Thanks for the vibes y'all x

AP Melbourne 11 Dec 2016
In reply to Wood for Trees:

> Would you be up for doing a Jam Crack interview Andy?

Thanks W f T. All in hand, just working through the details with our fabulous host Niall.
 NathanP 11 Dec 2016

I've really enjoyed listening to Jam Crack too. I love the slightly random mix and the diversions off topic in the intros. All the ones I have listened to so far have been worthwhile but I especially liked the episodes with Paul Pritchard and Lucy Creamer. Thanks and please keep it up.
 slab_happy 11 Dec 2016
In reply to AP Melbourne:

Hooray! Will be looking forwards to it.
 Niall Grimes 11 Dec 2016
In reply to AP Melbourne: get it done Andy

Bobling 11 Dec 2016

Just started these as an attempt to ween myself of the Bugle. They are really good thanks! I'm particularly looking forward to John Long and 'The Only Blasphemy', I've read it so many times I pretty much know it by heart already.

Only criticism I have is that I want to go to a rave in Winspit now.
 baileyswalk 12 Dec 2016

Fearing it would be Adam Buxton rambling on at some minor celeb I don't much care for to accompany me while I strip the walls of their wood chip paper, I dared to search for 'climbing podcasts' - f*ck me! It's a thing, it's also really f*cking good. Time usually slows when doing such work but not today. Thanks for making my menial, mundane task bearable. Keep up the good work, especially liked the rambling. Looking forward to more and catching up on the old.
 Niall Grimes 13 Dec 2016
In reply to baileyswalk:

Jam Crack Podcast. Making the menial more bearable.
 lithos 13 Dec 2016

just listened to Lucy C. What a fantastic woman and interview, so natural. PP should read some more, i don't agree with his assertion that he is ot very good at reading out. Was really enjoyable.

Who next dunno old or new.. either is good. How about Molly or Libby or Bob Smith ?
 Niall Grimes 13 Dec 2016
In reply to lithos:

Cheers Lithos, wasn't Lucy fab.

Yeah Pritch read beautifully, will see if i can do an onterview with him too.

Who is next? I think a story episode just came out today at some point. Scottish winter / Alpine scenes.

Next is an 80s British Alpinist.

I think Molly would be great. I'm a fan - I did mention it to her once but I didn't have the time to follow it up.

So many people I'd love to do. I'd like to do more unknown people I think - although it's the famous ones who get most downloads almost 60,000 downloads now.

Thanks to Nick Brown and Rob Greenwood and UKC for this latest promotion x

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...