Climbing inspiration, supported by you

Climbing inspiration, supported by you

Please help UKClimbing continue to provide varied and free content by becoming an official UKC Supporter. You can show your support in one of two ways; both come with rewards, and one includes discounted products from Rockfax.

Please help UKClimbing continue to provide varied and free content by becoming an official UKC Supporter. You can show your support in one of two ways; both come with rewards, and one includes discounted products from Rockfax.

Loading Notifications...

FEATURE: Kalymnos: The Smooth and the Rough

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 15 May 2019
Kalymnos: sunset over Telendos Sarah-Jane Dobner shares her second poetry collection, this time inspired by a trip to Kalymnos.

Over Easter, I spent two weeks on the climbing paradise of Kalymnos, a Greek Island off the coast of Turkey. Whilst Britain basked in a heatwave, 40 mph gales blew non-stop from the North. I was sick for most of the trip, yet climbed three grades harder than I've ever led. There are chapels everywhere on the island, but underneath, an Ancient brutality. It was a curate's egg.

Read more
 Nic 15 May 2019
In reply to UKC Articles:

I was enjoying that until I got to the...

[spoiler alert]

...bit about the accident. As someone who aspires to taking his teenage daughter to Kalymnos and belaying her on 8as in return for her top-roping me on the odd 4+, that was a wake-up!

andyman666999 15 May 2019

Didn’t really get this article at all. 

Andy Gamisou 16 May 2019
In reply to andyman666999:

> Didn’t really get this article at all. 

I don't get the point of your post.  Such is life.

pauls911 16 May 2019

Thanks Sarah-Jane, this was a lovely evocation of the place.

I think, having already lead the route, that if you read Resista you can't claim the onsite ;)

andyman666999 16 May 2019
In reply to Andy Gamisou:

And yet you also felt the need to comment !

kevin stephens 16 May 2019
In reply to andyman666999:

> Didn’t really get this article at all. 

Indeed, everybody knows that poetry should be restricted to evocation of trad climbing and has no place in a sport climbing context...…..

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.