UKC

NEW ARTICLE: (Not so) Hard Grit by SecretSquirrel

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 28 Aug 2006
"Its getting late, I’m tiring fast and for a second I contemplate how easy it would be to simply relax, let go and allow myself to fall. But then a stubborn, competitive, sheer bloody-minded part of me yells an emphatic “NO!” that echoes inside my skull, and the tired, scared part cowers back to a dark corner of my soul. A fatalistic acceptance washes over me: if I fall then I fall – and it seems a distinct possibility - but it is NOT going to be because I wimped out and let go! The adrenaline surges. This is it: no half measures, all or nothing. If I don’t give it everything then I’m sure to fail....."....Hazel Robson (aka SecretSquirrel) climbs on!

http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=174
Rosie A 28 Aug 2006
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

Way to go girl! Good day had by all!
drew harrison 28 Aug 2006
I like it a lot
Rosie A 28 Aug 2006
In reply to drew harrison: She can climb, she's pretty and she can write. Sheesh, how can we get her banned from UKC?
:¬)
Profanisaurus Rex 28 Aug 2006

Nice desciptive writing!
 callum 28 Aug 2006
In reply to Rosie A: Yep and she's also an ecologist. So apart from the ecologist box I cant tick any of the above - you're right Rosie - she should be banned!

Nice article SS!! Hope you do some more.

Jenn 29 Aug 2006

Good article. Makes me wan to climb on grit... almost
 Flatlander 29 Aug 2006

Nice article, very discriptive and had me feeling the climb along with her, she captured the moment well.
 AlisonC 29 Aug 2006
In reply to Jenn:
> Makes me wan to climb on grit... almost

ROFL! Yes, me too.

Great article, it captures really well that feeling when you decide to go for it above your gear and with no great expectation of success. And the buzz afterwards...

Ridge 29 Aug 2006

Really good article, captured the climb brilliantly.
 SecretSquirrel 29 Aug 2006
thanks guys.

*blushes*
In reply to SecretSquirrel:
Nice one SS, awesome writing, captured the moment very well.
 Chapel John.J 29 Aug 2006

Brilliant description, felt the same as you on that climb but couldn't have written it up as well as you have.

Well done on both counts.
 Mick Ward 29 Aug 2006

Diamond Crack is a fight - and you've caught the essence of it beautifully. You also fought the good fight... and won! A glorious feeling. Thanks for sharing it with us,

Mick
 practicalcat 30 Aug 2006
I enjoyed reading that - thank you! Well done on the climb, too

If anyone asks me why i climb, i'll point them to this article... now we just need one that captures the adventure within the sport so briliantly as Miss squirrel's. Well done.
 SecretSquirrel 30 Aug 2006
In reply to practicalcat:
I've climbed a a fair bit harder than that since but its one of the most memorable routes I've done.
I'm quite interested to see what i'd make of it if I climbed it now nearly a year later, might have to have another go next time i'm at Froggatt.
 The Pylon King 30 Aug 2006

Youre famous now - can i be your groupie?
 MattOwen 30 Aug 2006
A really enjoyable, snappy, article.

I think you've put into words what a lot of us (well me anyway) think, when those fingers start to unravel, as the prospect of a fall looms closer extremely well.

Thanks for writing it.

Matt
 Andysomething 02 Sep 2006
In reply to SecretSquirrel: Very nice feature, I've sent it to Jo who led that route about 5 years ago with more or less exactly the same experience (and result!). She was still fizzing when she brought me up on second!
 willhunt 02 Sep 2006
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Good to see an article by a punter about punter climbing. Jolly good show!
OP Michael Ryan 02 Sep 2006
In reply to willhunt:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com) Good to see an article by a punter about punter climbing. Jolly good show!

Uhhhh...it's by a climber about climbing and we have had lots of them and have got even more.

Keep your constricting labels to yourself....only kidding....a bit.

Mick

SecretSquirrel 02 Sep 2006
In reply to willhunt:
ahem - novice, thank you very much!
I'd only been climbing trad for about 3 months when I did that route. :0)

But I did write it because I'd posted in a discussion that it'd be nice to see more articles about the "ordinary folk" as well as those at the top of the game and thought i'd better put my money where my mouth was, so to speak.
 willhunt 02 Sep 2006
In reply to SecretSquirrel: Good for you, really enjoyed reading the article. I post about my escapades on a bloggy type site. Dont think theyre as grand as whats usually on here.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...