UKC

NEWS: Novovirus is back on Lundy

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Postmanpat 22 Sep 2009
Just arrived on Lundy and seems like half the island is infected. If you're planning a visit soon you may want to reconsider.

UKC News edit: now on the news page - http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=49416
Jonno 22 Sep 2009
In reply to Postmanpat:
> just arrived on Lundy and seems like half the island is infected. If you're planning a visit soon you may want to reconsider>

Those Lithuanians get everywhere since they joined the EU.

kevin stephens 23 Sep 2009
In reply to Postmanpat:
Tummy bug; 24 hours off climbing at the most - and it's not even confirmed as Norovirus
 Rob Naylor 23 Sep 2009
In reply to kevin stephens:
> (In reply to Postmanpat)
> Tummy bug; 24 hours off climbing at the most - and it's not even confirmed as Norovirus

If it's the same strain as 2 years ago, it laid me low for 3 full days!
 kevin stephens 23 Sep 2009
In reply to Rob Naylor:

just back from the island with a group of 31. Most but not all got the tummy bug (I escaped). Most of those that sufferred were laid up for 24 hours
 Trangia 23 Sep 2009
In reply to Rob Naylor:

Did they ever trace the source? It seems that the most likely suspects are
a) The water
b) The pub
c) The ferry

I can't think of any other likely source
 Zygoticgema 23 Sep 2009
In reply to Rob Naylor:
> (In reply to kevin stephens)
> [...]
>
> If it's the same strain as 2 years ago, it laid me low for 3 full days!

yeah. but you are a bit of a girl aren't you?
 Yanis Nayu 23 Sep 2009
In reply to Trangia:
> (In reply to Rob Naylor)
>
> Did they ever trace the source? It seems that the most likely suspects are
> a) The water
> b) The pub
> c) The ferry
>
> I can't think of any other likely source

Other people!
J1234 23 Sep 2009
In reply to Postmanpat: I was on a campsite were people had this in devon this year, and people were puking and crapping literally everywhere in the night, staggering out of tents and crapping and puking, they just could not/would not make the bogs, how you clean a site after that I do not know, I was not back to normal for 5 days.
 Trangia 23 Sep 2009
In reply to wayno265:
> (In reply to Trangia)
> [...]
>
> Other people!

Unlikely because of the transient nature of visitors to the island.

ChrisC 23 Sep 2009
In reply to J1234:

Yeah, when I was on Lundy a few weeks ago the staff were saying how some sites in N.Devon had been closed down due to the bug.

Seems a bit off your not given any warning before you go (even with 3 month babies). A couple in our group were pretty violently ill, while most were just laid low in bed for 24 hours.
 Jon Read 23 Sep 2009
In reply to Trangia:
Somebody had to bring it in, and that's probably exactly how it's sustaining itself: fresh load of susceptible hosts every few days, rapid turnover of host population! If it is norovirus, it can survive in the environment for a few days, but it's the amplifying effect from lots of people continuing to get it (and shed it all over the place) that's probably the main problem.
J1234 23 Sep 2009
In reply to ChrisC:
At the time we did not know what was happening but the water board were called in and they brought a bowser, so we packed up and went to another campsite in cornwall, luckily we did not take the bug there, partly through luck and partly through strict hygene we imposed on ourselves. What should have happened is the water board should have recognised what was going on and told us to stay put or go home, but the entire site must have scattered and spread it, it was incredibly fast, one day everyone on the site was ok the next nearly everyone was really ill.
 Richard Fox 23 Sep 2009
Just returned from Lundy, pretty much everyone went down with it in our group. Seems worse than the outbreak a couple of years ago to me, despite the Landmark trusts efforts. Expect to lose 1-2 days climbing out of your trip.
 fly or die 23 Sep 2009
In reply to Postmanpat: was on lundy two weeks ago and a few people were sick, inculding myself, we did get out climbing every day so wasnt so bad,
 Yanis Nayu 23 Sep 2009
In reply to Jon Read:
> (In reply to Trangia)
> Somebody had to bring it in, and that's probably exactly how it's sustaining itself: fresh load of susceptible hosts every few days, rapid turnover of host population! If it is norovirus, it can survive in the environment for a few days, but it's the amplifying effect from lots of people continuing to get it (and shed it all over the place) that's probably the main problem.

Correct.

Norovirus is not generally considered to be waterborne, although it may be able to survive in water (likely given that the outbreak at the Fat Duck was linked to oysters harvested from contaminated water). However, if this water gets to the tap untreated, it is likely that it will also be contaminated with other pathogens and there would be recurring illness that would be picked-up through reporting mechanisms.

richardh 23 Sep 2009
In reply to wayno265:

just got back last night from lundy, 12/12 hit rate on our group but with a range of symptoms, I got off lightly with mild trots! I don't think any of us lost more than a full day.
 BazVee 23 Sep 2009
In reply to Postmanpat:

This is not good news I was hoping to take my partner and our soon to be born baby there next year, perhaps I will have to consider somewhere else.
 Rob Naylor 24 Sep 2009
In reply to Zygoticgema:
> (In reply to Rob Naylor)
> [...]
>
> yeah. but you are a bit of a girl aren't you?

Did I squeal tonight when you stuck your elbow between my soleus and my gastronemeus? I DID NOT!!!
 Gary Smith 24 Sep 2009
In reply to Postmanpat:
Well, The Vags were there, all 32 of us. 90% suffered no more than what befalls a good night in the Vaynol. Applicants welcome; broccoli eaters need not apply
 brieflyback 24 Sep 2009
In reply to Gary Smith:

Has the food in the Vaynol taken a nosedive?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...