UKC

NEWS: Pembroke New Route for Neil Mawson - E10 (8b+)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 23 Sep 2014
Neil Mawson making the FA of Choronzon, E10 (8b+), 5 kbOn Sunday 21st September Neil Mawson made the first ascent of a new route in Pembroke near The Cauldron sector which he has named Choronzon. Its grade of E10 8b+ makes it Pembroke's hardest route yet.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=69187
 John2 23 Sep 2014
In reply to UKC News:

Out of interest, when was Muy Caliente downgraded to E9?
 Fraser 23 Sep 2014
In reply to UKC News:

Great effort.

I like the break down of the route: “a cruxy 7c+/8a that's bold up to..... a 9 move Font 7B+ ..... After that it's around E4/5 to the top.”/i>
 John Alcock 23 Sep 2014
In reply to Fraser:

Well done Neil. A real break through for Pembroke climbing. Very inspiring
 AJM 23 Sep 2014
In reply to John2:

There's an interview with him somewhere where he thinks it's the same grade as meshuga so I guess he has had that opinion ever since doing it.
 John2 23 Sep 2014
In reply to AJM:

That may be so, but the news item links to another news item in which he is reported as having led Muy Caliente at E10.
 The Pylon King 23 Sep 2014
In reply to UKC News:

Sick
 Ally Smith 23 Sep 2014
In reply to UKC News:

I heard idle speculation that this was going to be named "Flash that you b*stards!"
 John Alcock 23 Sep 2014
In reply to Ally Smith:

Given how fast Neil has repeated so many other routes in the E8/9/10 bracket and how long it's taken him to climb Choronzon then it must be desperate. That said that wall is tricky to get fully dry.
 Michael Gordon 23 Sep 2014
In reply to UKC News:

This looks like one of the most stunningly situated hard new routes I've seen recently. Looks amazing and oh so steep!

Good blog post from Caff also. To be fair, he shouldn't really suggest this is a grade harder than the likes of Equilibrium without having climbed the routes in question, though I did like his comment about the independence referendum!
 AJM 23 Sep 2014
In reply to John2:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=65315 Was the interview in which I saw the quote
 andrewmc 23 Sep 2014
In reply to Michael Gordon:

I think he suggested E9 7b, so lower adjective but higher tech, rather than just downgrading?
 Michael Gordon 23 Sep 2014
In reply to andrewmcleod:

Assuming he actually climbed it first, it would still be a downgrade suggestion. I'm not aware of anyone else who's suggested 7b for Equilibrium? You've also got the issue of if it's reckoned to be a grade harder than most of the Peak E9s, which one is correct?
 john arran 23 Sep 2014
In reply to UKC News:

Top effort Neil.
And good choice in using a sport grade instead of UK tech grade too, Once upon a time - around the early 80s - there were two schools of thought as to whether the tech grade should be hardest move or cumulative technical difficulty. I was in the latter camp, which ultimately lost out. Since then though the tech grades given to hard routes have become increasingly useless, partly no doubt due to nobody ever being able to agree on what exactly a 'move' is! Recent years have also (likely for the same reasons) seen an increased use of French grades to describe the physical pitch difficulty, even for grit routes (for which one might expect a hardest move grade to be particularly relevant) so it's a shame that we're now using French grades for this instead of our own grades. The plus side of course is that Johnny foreigner also speaks the same grade language so won't need to scratch his/her head quite so much at all the strange symbols in the guide when he/she comes to climb in the UK.

Now, to start the long process of converting every HVS 5a to HVS V or HVS V+
 irish paul 23 Sep 2014
In reply to john arran:

That was my thought as well on seeing the grade, even down at E4/5 I'd rather know the French grade, gives a bit more of an idea to me
 TobyA 23 Sep 2014
In reply to john arran:

Steve McClure makes exactly the same point about the necessity of using French grades for hard trad routes as well in the most recent edition of Climb.
 Andy Farnell 24 Sep 2014
In reply to Michael Gordon: That's some harsh grading by Neil, but with his track record of hard ascents all over the country, both sport and trad, it's going to be right.

Andy F.

Michael Gordon 24 Sep 2014
In reply to andy farnell:

Sounded like E9 for Equilibrium was more Caff's idea?
 Jimbo C 24 Sep 2014
In reply to UKC News:

Well done, awesome looking line.

About the grade, E10 (8b+) gives a good description of the safe & hard vs bold & easier nature of the route, but so would E10 6c along with the qualifying statement that it is sustained 6c with adequate gear (the former however is shorter)
 Marq 24 Sep 2014
In reply to UKC News:

Well done Neil.

We were climbing on Flimstone Slab on 23rd August and saw some people abbing in to this face. Looked 'ard!

Marq
 GDes 24 Sep 2014
In reply to Jimbo C:

8b+ tells you a lot more about the difficulty than saying sustained 6c. So why bother saying sustained 6c? It's more of a mouthful and tells you a lot less.
 donie 25 Sep 2014
In reply to UKC News:

Totally brill effort Neil
 Blake 04 Nov 2014
In reply to UKC News:

I was there at May Cottage that weekend with Neil - I nipped down for a look at the route... it looks stupendously hard. One hell of a good effort and certainly a futuristic route! Good work mate.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...