UKC

DIGITAL FEATURE: The Finest Crags in the UK & Ireland: Rhoscolyn

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 03 Apr 2019
Jack Lawdedge on Trail of Dreams E4 6A Nestling on Holy Island's south-west coast is a crag for connoisseurs. Hidden amongst the sparkling zawns, sea caves and secluded bays is a metamorphic masterpiece. Mike Hutton strolls down the rocky road to Rhoscolyn on a quest for quartzite.

Read more
 Andy Hardy 03 Apr 2019
In reply to UKC Articles:

I'm using firefox and win10, you're apostrophes and quotation marks are coming out as euro symbols!

Apart from that, nice work

Sl@te Head 03 Apr 2019

Great article and photos, it's such a photogenic crag and the colours are always amazing.

I was happy to see one of my routes getting a mention 'Takahe'

'Takahe (HVS 5a) aptly named after a now extinct New Zealand flightless bird is essentially a worthwhile direct start and shares the top pitch of Icarus'.

For the record 'Takahe' is an E2 5b not a HVS 5a, I think it has been incorrectly described as having a 'variation finish'. What is described in the Gogarth guide and on the UKC  database as the variation finish is in fact the original way and not a variation. So 'Takahe' should finish up the arete to the right of the top section of Icarus and not join the top of Icarus as mentioned in the article. Hope that makes sense!

henwardian 03 Apr 2019

Doesn't work for me. I can only see the opening picture and can't access anything else. Anyone else have trouble?

danm 03 Apr 2019
In reply to Sl@te Head:

Yeah, the descriptions don't even make sense if they are the wrong way around! Switching the words "right" and "arete" around in the description for Takahe would help, plus stating that it is in fact independent and just right of Icarus. If you do it in one pitch you don't even need to share the Icarus belay (we did it like this as there was a team on Icarus) either way it makes a pretty nice route.

I had the same issues with weird symbols in the text. Win10 & Chrome.

Graeme Hammond 03 Apr 2019

Looks good but all the photos appear quite small and I can't seem to enlarge them in anyway on my phone.

In reply to Andy Hardy:

I think I've finally got to the bottom of the character encoding bug with the apostrophes and speech marks. Shouldn't happen again.

Post edited at 19:49
In reply to Graeme Hammond:

I'll have a look at this tomorrow. The Digital Features were really designed to be viewed on a bigger screen but I think I'll be able to add the image viewer we use on the news, articles and gear posts fairly easily.

Rick Sewards 03 Apr 2019
In reply to Sl@te Head:

I can't comment on the grade or the line of your route Takahe, never having done it (Icarus being the only route I've done at Rhoscolyn), but there's definitely a mistake in this bit of the article which jumped out at me when you quoted it - the takahe is not extinct! It was once thought to be extinct and got very close, and there are still less than 500 according to Wikipedia, but thankfully still with us.

Rick

Sl@te Head 04 Apr 2019
In reply to Rick Sewards:

You're right, they exist

youtube.com/watch?v=JL0LPS0x2iU&

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...