UKC

Aberdeen

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Flinticus 17 May 2019

Going there for a week 

Is there only Transition Extreme? 

What is that like for top roping and bouldering?

Ta

JLS 17 May 2019
In reply to Flinticus:

Expensive.

Cabo 17 May 2019
In reply to Flinticus:

Theres also RGU. Less wall but has a seperate bouldering room.

tspoon1981 17 May 2019
In reply to Cabo:

Unless RGU have rerouted the heating ducts, it will be a clammy little sweat box. Transition is ok, small bouldering area, small training area, a few auto-belays and plenty of top rope options. It is on the expensive side for a wall, but given the competition is the aforementioned sweatbox, they can get away with it.

OP Flinticus 19 May 2019
In reply to tspoon1981:

Thanks for the info. It's top roping we'll mainly be doing so that's fine. I'll pay a bit to avoid a sweat box and its a holiday trip rather than my new regular wall.

StuDoig 20 May 2019
In reply to Flinticus:

It's the bouldering room rather than the roped climbing at rgu that's sweaty - the roped climbing area is small and open to the main foyer so well ventilated if very visible to gawkers.  They did used to insist that you went through an assessment to climb there though which could only be done at certain times with a booking - years since I did it though so could be that they've scrapped that!  You can stick you're head in and have a look easily enough. 

Bouldering at Transition is pretty poor and a very limited area, but the rest of the wall is good.  v. expensive as folk have said though!

Cheers,

Stu

OP Flinticus 23 May 2019
In reply to StuDoig:

Hi. Been twice now. Love the top roped climbing. The lead looks great too but not tried it. Higher than Glasgow Climbing Centre and a few options missing there, e.g. the chimney panel. Its got interesting routes. 

StuDoig 24 May 2019
In reply to Flinticus:

Grand!  There are some very enjoyable routes.  The Chimney is good fun, and a nice challenge to climbing it back and foot / bridging rather than on the holds.  Far corner has some good bridgy, technical lines as well that are a nice change from the strenuous as well.

Stu

Dangerous Dave 24 May 2019
In reply to Flinticus:

transition is the best we have am afraid. The bouldering are is very small and the 30 degree board is set up for a systems board making it feel even smaller. as for top roping there are 4 auto belays 2 trickier lines 2 for beginners. There are a few roped lines but i can't tell you much about them as I rarely use them.

It is the most expensive wall in the country though. 

OP Flinticus 25 May 2019
In reply to Dangerous Dave:

I think the TCA Gladgow trumps it for non-members at £12 peak. Members £10.

OP Flinticus 25 May 2019
In reply to StuDoig:

Having now been three times over our week long holiday, my gripes would be:

The colour of routes. Often identical colour next to each other or two very similar on same panel, e.g. yellow then yellow + brown etc. More care needed! Too much wondering is that orange or red?

The bouldering area: would be better if one colour used to designate routes within a certain grade window as is common elsewhere.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...