UKC

Advice/ experiences of building a shed for a board

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Me and my family are going to be moving to a new house soon, first time buyers, very exciting etc! The only downside is that there is no garage. I currently have a small board setup in my garage, just a couple of pieces of ply at 40 degrees. It's 2m high and about 2m wide, with the frame being about a 9ft long. I love my board, use it multiple times a week. I don't really want to get rid of it as it's so convenient and accessible, I make good use of it and don't think I'd be able to get to commercial wall in town anywhere near as much. Does anyone have any experience of building shed/ an outside structure to house their woodies and have any advice they could share? e.g. how to keep it dry? what materials/ insulation? need a concrete base? build your own or pay for a firm to do it? etc.

DamonRoberts 16 Jan 2024
In reply to Wyre Forest Illuminati:

Depends on your budget really. Those gravel shed bases with buried breeze blocks to bear the load of the wall, and a 3 sided + roof structure (think carport with sides) made of fence panel type stuff will keep you basically dry, but not warm. Can just make the wall into an free standing a-frame under that and job done. Other end of the spectrum is If you want a structure that'd add some value to the property and have the potential to be warm somewhat in winter (and cool in summer), to build a full on outbuilding. Get a slab poured by someone (or DIY), then build an insulated timber frame room out of 4x2's, rockwool or PIR in the gaps, and build a wall in that. Ply or OSB inside, and clad outside. You'll need to look out for permitted development building heights, particularly if it'll be near the property boundary. Think it's 2.5m within 1m of a neighbour. 

Post edited at 22:40
In reply to DamonRoberts:

This is very helpful - my board is already free standing so that's no bother, just no idea about how to house it in a way that's going to keep it usable. Bearing in mind I am the least practical person in the world so will probably need to get someone to build for me, any idea of how much I could be looking at for either option? Need to try and negotiate budget with my wife as we plan this move..!

PaulJepson 17 Jan 2024

Where in the country are you based? I had an outside board in Bristol and often found the conditions tricky because of the constant humidity (it was a pokey enclosed garden as well). Even if it wasn't raining, it often proved horrible to climb on. I'd really recommend having it fully enclosed if you can.

In reply to PaulJepson:

Based in cheltenham, had exactly the same thoughts about something not enclosed ie the holds will be gopping even if they don’t get rained on directly. The garage space it’s in now is attached to the house so even though it’s not directly heated it stays pretty much perfectly dry all the time. The more I think about it the less practical it’s sounding… sadly might be time to say goodbye to the woody!

Swig 17 Jan 2024

Can't you just buy a basic shed from a shed company and follow the instructions?

Might well work out cheaper than buying the wood separately. You'd probably be able to get someone to build it for you but it wouldn't be very advanced DIY. 

Charlie Noakes 17 Jan 2024

I have done exactly this. Bought a basic but robust 12x8 ft shed (paid extra to have it built from 3x2 timber and 19mm cladding). Its 7ft high at the eaves and 8ft at the apex. No windows, but with double doors at one gable end. Used concrete slabs from a patio for the base. No insulation, plenty of air vents high and low. To build it I essentially bolstered the existing shed frame a bit and tied it into that - i.e. its not freestanding - and its really solid. 

The board is about 10ft long (2 and bit widths of ply) and 47degrees. It gets used 2-3 times a week all year round. Conditions are usually good in there and I have a fan / heated blower thing to warm it up and get rid of dampness.

A few wooden holds have developed mould, but some watered down bleach and sand paper can keep it at bay. I can live with having to replace a small number of holds every few years (haven't had to yet). The plywood panels are painted with protective outdoor shed type paint and have remained in great nick, no dampness or mould.

If you go for this approach the key is ventilation and regular use to keep it damp free.

In reply to Charlie Noakes:

Pic from the outside

PaulJepson 17 Jan 2024

Yes! It doesn't seem to be a problem as much in eastern/southern areas but the south west was not ideal. Would be a shame to ditch it if you enjoy it though. I'd go the route of the mega-shed above! If its fully enclosed you could stick a space heater in there for half an hour before and youd be good I'm sure. 

Yes lad! This is just the sort of inspirational material I needed. My hope has been restored, perhaps the woody will live on. If you have the link to the company you used could you share it? Will help me cost up - thank you!

RE climate, I'm in SE Shropshire with a moderately exposed SE facing garden, if that's any worth! As Paul suggests, space heater is a good investment.

Shedrite in Wolverhampton. Just had a look, sadly they've gone out of business! I guess to do with the spiralling material costs and supply issues, thankfully got mine sorted before things got out of control. Cost me £1200 in May 2021. The same shed in October that year was £1750!

Looks like prices have only gone up since then, I think your mega shed might be slightly out of budget unfortunately. Looks like it’s back to pulling on plastic for me, oh the humanity. 

MartinRB 17 Jan 2024

Another (much cheaper) option which I opted for to protect my outdoor freestanding wall (similar dimensions to yours but not as steep!) is a rectangular sail cloth draped over the back of the wall and then projecting outwards over the top at a slight downward angle tied to a nearby shed and post. Although the sail is faded and slightly mouldy in parts after 3 years it has protected the surface of the wall well. Obviously this arrangement doesn't protect the climber against the elements to the same degree a shed would but maybe worth considering? I can DM you photos if you like. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...