UKC

Advice for home wall

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sabilly1 18 Nov 2020

Hello all, 

lockdown has got the better of me and have decided on building my home wall. All wood is purchased and the holds are in the post.

advice needed on what size tee nut to use, does it have to be M10 or will M8 suffice? I have order metolius 60 multipack of holds. I’m struggling to find M10 nuts but screwfix has M8 good to go. 

cheers 

JIMBO 18 Nov 2020
In reply to Sabilly1:

M10 is standard for the bolts to hold the holds...

ianstevens 18 Nov 2020
In reply to Sabilly1:

Edit: first claim was wrong; misread the post. 

IMO bolts on a home board are faff. I'd return the holds and buy some screw ons - far easier, especially given that you'll only want to reset rarely. Also I presume you have got resin holds? Can be pretty horrid on the skin without the mileage they see in a commercial wall to take the edge off them. I'd get wood holds - which tend to be screw on. 

Post edited at 13:51
 daWalt 18 Nov 2020
In reply to Sabilly1:

You'll see when the holds arrive, the countersink, and the through hole, is sized and shaped for M10 bolts. 

If you tried to screw them down with M8 you'd need to overtighten in a (futile) attempt to stop them moving, and damage the countersink in the process. 

M10 is only pennies more ecpensive and easily available on line.

Note! Be sure to get a selection of bolts that are long enough. Some big blobby holds might need >100mm length 

JayW 18 Nov 2020
In reply to Sabilly1:

I have just built a full-sized Moonboard in my garden so this is relatively fresh for me. As has already been pointed out tee nuts are the standard. Two common options are whether you go "pronged" or screw in. I went for the screw ins as they seemed more secure, though they are a tad more expensive. If the wall will be outside, consider stainless hardwear. Also be wary that for some retailers there is a distinction between imperial and metric nuts and tee nuts; they are not compatible with one another. Make sure if you buy M10 tee nuts you get M10 bolts. Good luck and enjoy your project.  

IanNicBit 18 Nov 2020
In reply to Sabilly1:

I am casting my mind back a long time to when I built my board. 

I think Metolius holds actually take a 3/8 bolt, which is marginally smaller than M10, although a quick Google tells me you can get a 3/8 to fit in an M10 but not vice versa. 

I don’t recall using different T nuts but vaguely remember if I just clustered them in a different area of my board, so I didn’t have to worry when I reset. 

OP Sabilly1 18 Nov 2020
In reply to IanNicBit: cheers everyone for the advice, m10 t nut and bolts are in the post. 

SDM 18 Nov 2020
In reply to ianstevens:

> Also I presume you have got resin holds? Can be pretty horrid on the skin without the mileage they see in a commercial wall to take the edge off them. I'd get wood holds - which tend to be screw on. 

Under normal circumstances, I completely agree on wood vs resin and would go wood all the way. With the amount of climbing I normally do outdoors and on resin holds at the wall, wood is great for being able to train even when my skin is low.

But during lockdown, I think there is a strong case for at least some resin holds, particularly for people who aren't climbing outdoors during lockdown.

Most of my hooks are wood which is so kind on the skin that during the first lockdown, my skin ended up going baby soft despite training 5+ days a week. It then took a long time for my skin to toughen back up to normal levels once I could go outdoors again/go to the wall again.

This time around, I have washed my resin holds to make them rougher on the skin and have found myself setting a lot of problems on the few resin holds that I do have to try to avoid the same issue from happening when I venture back outside again.

ianstevens 18 Nov 2020
In reply to SDM:

Makes sense. I've been climbing outdoors as much as the restrictions allow, and on sandstone, so guess I haven't seen the skin issues you describe. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...