UKC

best wall cafe

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 grizz 14 Jan 2005
Considering the majority of time spent at climbing walls is in the cafe or wandering round I thought I'd find out which walls have got the

A) Best cafe

B) Best toilets

C) Worst cafe

D) Worst toilets

My answers are

A) Warrington Wall (seated area)

B) Rochdale Wall

C) Leeds

D) Marple
Vertically_Challenged 14 Jan 2005
In reply to grizz: whats wrong with leeds cafe? the carbohydrate and fat heavy cakes are just what you need part way thru a session. MMmm....flapjacks.....
Rain 14 Jan 2005
In reply to grizz:

Eh? i was going to put Warrington in both of the worst catagories. The toliets are better now and at least upstairs is a reasonable place to sit down but it doesn't have a cafe, you can buy tea from a surly youth behind the counter and that's it. Pretty inadequate really.
 net 14 Jan 2005
In reply to grizz: Kendal wall sells exceptionally fine cakes. So I'd have to say Wilf's Cafe is the best!
OP grizz 14 Jan 2005
In reply to Vertically_Challenged:

It's expensive and doesn't have all that much room
OP grizz 14 Jan 2005
In reply to Rain:

very cheap tea
Rain 14 Jan 2005
In reply to grizz:

very surly youths!
 MeMeMe 14 Jan 2005
In reply to Rain:

Must be you, they've been friendly enough when I've got tea there. Tea's fine but rubbish selection of food, really need a chip butty to keep me going while climbing, I guess a cheese toasty does at a push.
jimtheape 14 Jan 2005
In reply to grizz:

best for both- glasgow
cafe is gd, load of space, and a lot of cooked food. is stupidly expensive tho. toilets are also good, if not just a bit stinking. even have showers.
hayley 17 Jan 2005
In reply to grizz:

worst toilets: the climb in amersham!
Iggy_B 17 Jan 2005
In reply to grizz: Foundry is quite good for food.

Awesome walls formerly had the worst toilets!

When boulderuk was about to open the mags said it had a cafe, so therefore it must have the worst cafe, as it doesn;t have one
 Duncan Bourne 17 Jan 2005
In reply to grizz:
A) The Edge is current fav, but in the past the foundary was hard to beat (haven't been there for years), Warrington has a nice sitting area but no cafe to speak of.

B) Probably the Edge again

C) Fort Purbeck (Wot cafe!)

D) Marple
 Fidget 17 Jan 2005
In reply to grizz:

Not been to many wall's cafes, but Craggy Island does nice brownies!!
Patrick Ruane 18 Jan 2005
In reply to grizz:

Bear Wall has really good facilities (all that student money) and if you time it right you can watch the aerobics class while you wait for the pump to go away...
Patrick Ruane 18 Jan 2005
In reply to Patrick Ruane:

Ok, maybe i should say it's the pump from climbing, not anything else...
 Jenn 18 Jan 2005
In reply to grizz:

I like the cafe at the Castle - second place would go to the smoothie bar at the WW.
 Wingnut 18 Jan 2005
In reply to grizz:
Worst toilets - Aston Uni, ugh.
Worst caff - the Rockface (RIP) in the brief period it actually had one
Best caff - toss-up between the Edge and the Beacon
Best toilets - anywhere reasonably clean with an effective flush and plenty of paper
Carl Davies 18 Jan 2005
In reply to grizz:

The best cafe, is no cafe at all. Use the space for more bouldering walls!!!
Reserve 18 Jan 2005
In reply to grizz:

you need to get out more
 Chris the Tall 18 Jan 2005
In reply to grizz:
Foundry cafe is good when it's open, but it always shuts too early, and normally about 10 minutes before the advertised time.

Mind you, I can remember when they served beer there !!
 CJD 18 Jan 2005
In reply to grizz:

Awesome walls in Liverpool does rather good flapjack.

The toilets are apparently better there nowadays.

The toilets at Leeds wall were something of a revelation after frequenting Awesome's facilities during a cold winter.
Craggy Island has excellent facilities but paying £1 for a mug of tea and £4 for a sandwich is crazy stuff...
Anonymous 20 Jan 2005
In reply to Chris the Tall:
If you have a problem with The Foundry Cafe's opening times please discuss this with us directly, not via a website!

We advertise last orders 30 mins before our staff finish, so they have time to clean the kitchen before they leave. During that time (and at most other times) drinks and chocolate are still available via our reception staff, so we are not fully closed untill well after our advertised times.

Simon, cafe manager
Hotbad Peteel 20 Jan 2005
In reply to Anonymous:

You sound like you work for the council Not a business in a market controlled world that needs to keep its customers happy!

Note: I don't really care either way, I live other side of the country now, but discussion forums are for people to discuss things. Would you say the same thing if Chris was discussing this vocally across a sheffield pub?

Pete
 Andy Farnell 20 Jan 2005
In reply to CJD: The toilets IN awesome are now quite clean and tidy, they even have a shower!!!

Andy F
 CJD 20 Jan 2005
In reply to andy farnell:

I can't help thinking they were waiting until I'd left...

Andy Farnell 20 Jan 2005
In reply to CJD:
> (In reply to andy farnell)
>
> I can't help thinking they were waiting until I'd left...
>
>

Or is it just that they were waiting for the smell you left to dissipate

Andy F
 tony 20 Jan 2005
In reply to grizz:

The best toilets have to be at Ratho. They're equipped to a standard that wouldn't be out of place in an upmarket gym, and they have the most powerful hand-driers in the world.

Ratho also has a decent cafe and a restaurant. And a big shop. Amongst other things.
Iain Ridgway 20 Jan 2005
In reply to Duncan Bourne: The edge used to serve brilliant Pasties must be 10 years ago since I used to go, and the foundrys chip butties were always very generous portions.
 Andy Farnell 20 Jan 2005
In reply to tony:
> (In reply to grizz)
>
> The best toilets have to be at Ratho. They're equipped to a standard that wouldn't be out of place in an upmarket gym, and they have the most powerful hand-driers in the world.
>
> Ratho also has a decent cafe and a restaurant. And a big shop. Amongst other things.

Ah... the Ratho hand dryier/hurricane machines. You need to tie on to dry your hands otherwise you end up in Glasgow.

Andy F
 Chris the Tall 20 Jan 2005
In reply to Anonymous (Simon - Foundry cafe):
> (In reply to Chris the Tall)
> If you have a problem with The Foundry Cafe's opening times please discuss this with us directly, not via a website!

I have, frequently. And I will say that things have improved since you took over. But I've been going to the foundry ever since it opened and I've seen the opening hours of the cafe gradually being reduced...

As Mr Ridgeway points out your chip butties are excellant and generous, so it's very frustrating when you've built up your appetite, you've earned your chips, and then you get told you're too late
timbo@work 20 Jan 2005
Off the beaten track but the bar at Calshot serves up an excellent Thai Curry, mainly 'cos Lak the chef is Thai...
lozie 02 Feb 2005
In reply to grizz:
> Considering the majority of time spent at climbing walls is in the cafe or wandering round I thought I'd find out which walls have got the
>
> A) Best cafe
>
> B) Best toilets
>
> C) Worst cafe
>
> D) Worst toilets
>
> My answers are
>
> A) Warrington Wall (seated area)
>
> B) Rochdale Wall
>
> C) Leeds
>
> D) Marple

my worst
C) worst on was
bristle wall cafe da food was all veggie im ok with dat but they shud also provide for those who arn't as well.
toilets wernt very pleasent either.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...