UKC

Big boots indoors

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 tehmarks 22 Dec 2017
I was asked recently at a wall to stop climbing in boots as they were worried about me trashing the wall. Fair enough, their house their rules, but it's the first place I've ever had an issue. What's everyone else's experience?

I struggle to believe that one person in B3s, with reasonable footwork and being very mindful about trashing their boots, is going to do any more damage than kids scraping up routes in trainers every day.
 Fraser 22 Dec 2017
In reply to tehmarks:

Can I ask the obvious question: why were you wanting to climb indoors in big boots? I must admit, I've never seen anyone else attempt this.
 alx 22 Dec 2017
In reply to tehmarks:
I have this issue but normally it’s the ice axes on the bouldering wall the bastards get twitchy about.
Post edited at 18:17
OP tehmarks 22 Dec 2017
In reply to Fraser:

A bit of curiosity ('I wonder what I can climb in boots?') and a bit of forgetfulness (forgot my usual shoes when I came home for Christmas, so I've only got a horrifically uncomfortable pair of Miuras or boots with me). And perhaps a touch of 'if I climb more in boots, maybe I'll actually feel comfortable in them on easier technical ground in the Alps in summer instead of pooing myself and refusing to believe my foot will stay where I've put it on that small edge that I can't feel'.

And because I could. Until I couldn't.
 Greasy Prusiks 22 Dec 2017
In reply to alx:

Tell me about it. You put the odd piton in behind a volume and all of a sudden your membership is rescinded.
 Greasy Prusiks 22 Dec 2017
In reply to tehmarks:

I'm pretty sure a remember a thread like this before. Perhaps have a search of the archive?

I agree though, unless you're attempting to kick steps it can't do any harm.
 thepodge 22 Dec 2017
In reply to tehmarks:

Basically because it's not all about you, if we all think it's only one person then it's not really one person is it?

Yeah you might be better than some kids but someone else is better than you so should we accept pros in crampons or do we force kids into crippling shoes and put the next generation off climbing before they've started?

Who's going going to assess everyone's skills and check them against the new skills / footwear sliding scale?
 rocksol 22 Dec 2017
In reply to tehmarks:

We used to climb outdoors in big boots all the time before going to the Alps (up to E4) but as alpine climbs got harder it became normal practice to carry rock shoes for really hard pitches Big boots are also as useful as a chocolate teapot on granite slabs.
Indoors I wouldn't have thought they wouldn't be much fun They are relatively heavy and swinging momentum could hit fragile holds hard breaking them I'm sure you,d be better in trainers
 nniff 22 Dec 2017
In reply to tehmarks:

White Spider are fine about it. It's hard work, and has less impact on the wall than a slap and slide novice. I tend to have a quick go before a go anywhere where climbing in boots (with or without crampons) is on the agenda. Doesn't half make you think about body position
 alx 22 Dec 2017
In reply to Greasy Prusiks:
I have never found volumes gave me the same semi-frozen cottage cheese and dog turd insecurity I crave from winter climbing. The only thing close that brings out that same ball shrinking fear is leaving all my children unsupervised sitting on the local indoor wall boulder mats at peak hours.

I usually find 5mins unsupervised makes a good rep, normally I try to do 8 reps per set, at least 10 sets or until the local wall filth has a tantrum.
Post edited at 18:33
 HammondR 22 Dec 2017
In reply to tehmarks:
How topical! Asked if this would be ok to climb in my Asolo plastics at Leeds wall recently. They were fine so long as the boots were clean.

As for why, well I am chugging through preparation for winter in the alps using Steve House's Training for the New Alpinism. Climbing easy routes with a heavy bag and big boots on the wall is one of his recommendations for climbing orientated strength endurance training.
In reply to alx:

> I have this issue but normally it’s the ice axes on the bouldering wall the bastards get twitchy about.

If you photograph the bouldering wall from above, the vast amounts of chalk make it look in condition

;~))
 Si dH 22 Dec 2017
In reply to tehmarks:

Not sure what sort of wall you're on. If routes I'm sympathetic. On a bouldering wall it could be dangerous and I expect they'd worry about damaging the matting.
 alx 23 Dec 2017
In reply to Si dH:

What if I washed my crampons first before climbing?
 petenebo 23 Dec 2017
In reply to HammondR:

I commend your correct use of 'orientated'

However, I'm afraid I could never do what you and Steve House do - I'd feel a proper cnut.
 HammondR 24 Dec 2017
In reply to petenebo:
Hard to argue with that!

alx 24 Dec 2017
In reply to petenebo:

> However, I'm afraid I could never do what you and Steve House do - I'd feel a proper cnut.

Your own I hope?
Post edited at 18:20
 petenebo 24 Dec 2017
In reply to alx:

> Your own I hope?

Can't afford to be fussy. Am I to take it you're not available?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...