UKC

Calisthenics + Climbing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Azheng6743 28 Jul 2022

Hi Guys, I'm curious to see what people's thoughts and opinions are on training calisthenics on top of fingerboard and other climbing based training.

At the beginning of the year I broke my leg and its taken me a good 6 months to really get back to the level I was at before the accident and recently over the summer I've been on a month trip around Europe to climb which has made me climb so much better and higher grades but I want to train more to get my first 7a sport and boulder as well as my first E1 trad. But on top of climbing loads and fingerboard, is calisthenics good to incorporate too?

Ciro 28 Jul 2022
In reply to Azheng6743:

Yes

CantClimbTom 29 Jul 2022
In reply to Azheng6743:

Calisthenics just means to use bodyweight for resistance not external stuff like weights or bands etc, it's just exercise.

*What* calisthenics you do is important. I mean you could build up to doing one leg squats or one arm pushups but would they be the most valuable highest priority exercises for e.g. sport climbing...? probably not!

Rather than asking should you do calisthenics, maybe a better question if you could ask "what calisthenics programs are out there suitable for the goals of improving sport and trad climbing?"

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...