UKC

Campus Board on a van? Here's how..

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 natetan 08 Oct 2017
This is how I made a campus board for my van. It provides 5 rungs (moon spacing) and allows feet-off power training and feet-on (steeper) power endurance training... relevant for those who are fed up of loosing power on long trips.

youtube.com/watch?v=NhqqV7gzpt0&

It is probably the best thing I have in my van... and that includes the heater! It feels effective in terms of training - and the steeper Power Endurance mode is really good for when you are doing more alpinism/trad which does not tend to train it as much.

Build questions welcome!
 stp 09 Oct 2017
In reply to natetan:

Looks very cool and a nicely made board. Great to see climbers making their own boards. Seems like you get much better value for money that way. One can build a perfectly good fingerboard from scrap wood for almost nothing. I suppose one question is why did you choose to buy the campus rungs rather than just making some. Just to save time or another reason?
 bouldery bits 09 Oct 2017
In reply to natetan:

Is the engine not the best thing in your van? :P

Looks super cool.
OP natetan 10 Oct 2017
In reply to stp:

To be honest I was a bit time pressed and I think to get a really nice profile (at least super uniform) I would need a router and also to source some good hardwood.. beach or something.

The snap rungs are fairly good value compared with other rungs (£7 each i think) and if I want to use them later for something else they are easy to unscrew - so on that basis I think it is worth it to just buy a few.
OP natetan 10 Oct 2017
In reply to bouldery bits:

Ok that is useful too...
 MischaHY 10 Oct 2017
In reply to natetan:

This is mega cool. Looks like it could easily be diversified as well with the sloper blobs that also function as a pegboard. Could be a cool upgrade!
OP natetan 11 Oct 2017
In reply to MischaHY:

Yeah! I thought of adding those round blob things.. though I'd have to modify the bracket I put to hold it above my stuff under the bed.

It would be cool to add a few other features, pinches on the 45deg mode could be rad.
 MischaHY 11 Oct 2017
In reply to natetan:

You could even stick some vertical pinches on there for tufa training - or possibly even a crack if you're really keen!
 Tim saville 11 Oct 2017
In reply to natetan:

I have dreams of developing a van, and having some form of training equipment installed is a mega idea. How exactly is this attached? using the pre existing roof bolts?

Ive watched your full build video, very well documentation but would there be anything you would change or add or do differently?
OP natetan 11 Oct 2017
In reply to Tim saville:

In reply to Tim saville:

I put some eye bolts - actually yachting ones - on the roof before I clad it. Mostly incase I need to hang things up / for a hammock.. however they are also great for the hang board. They are 500kg rated or something.

Not a huge amount I would do differently other than just to try a different layout and design. Open front/closed front have pros and cons I'd consider either if doing it again. Love the fixed bed and real mattress still though. Heater is a must imo... warm girlfriend = happy life!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...