UKC

Injury from doing pull-ups and fingerboard

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Brendan 27 Aug 2013
I experience pain at the base of my neck and on the insides of my shoulder blades after using my fingerboard. I'm wondering if anyone has any idea what I'm doing wrong?
I usually hang from both arms, my hands are quite close together because my finger board is just a campus rung screwed to a door frame. Maybe that could be the reason?
 frqnt 27 Aug 2013
In reply to Brendan:
> Maybe that could be the reason?

Initial thoughts are that it's most likely poor form; honour the natural form of the body - i.e. don't hang in a state of hyper extension so maintain, at least, a micro bend in the elbow and roll your shoulders back.

Warm up, a lot. And stretch heaps; before, during and after. Failing that, you may have some other underlying issue that will no doubt be difficult to diagnose over the internet.

I do a shed load of campusing, heavy (BW + 50%) pullups and tons of BW pullups - I started getting chronic elbow and shoulder pain and cured this by doing plenty of the right stretches that target all the areas being stressed.

I've found a strong yoga practise that includes arm balances and inversions has taught me a lot about maintaining integrity in the body and is a great form of antagonist training.

Good luck.
In reply to frqnt:

You're climbing 6a and you're doing 'a shed load' of campussing and weighted pull-ups?! Seriously?

jcm
 frqnt 27 Aug 2013
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:
Yeah - I only really climb rock occasionally and as training for winter. I find campus ladders back-to-back is great endurance requiring abdominal recruitment whilst heavily weighted pull ups are the only way I can prevent my body adapting to BW. You have better suggestions?

The only thing I do more than campusing is kettlebell swinging and this is a great posterior chain and shoulder mobility exercise for the OP.
ice.solo 28 Aug 2013
In reply to frqnt:

Great replies.
OP Brendan 28 Aug 2013
In reply to frqnt:

Thanks for the reply. I should have said, I'm always careful to bend my elbows. You could be right about the shoulder position though. Something to think about for next time.
Cheers!
 frqnt 28 Aug 2013
In reply to Brendan:
> I experience pain at the base of my neck and on the insides of my shoulder blades

I might add for the specific pain you're describing; I find the most therapeutic thing to do is hang from a bar and simply roll your shoulders back and down. It's the ultimate, IMO, upper back stretch. If I'm in a lot of pain I tend to sorta bounce by hinging my elbows whilst trying to pull shoulders down and back as far as I can.

If that doesn't offer relief, I'd rest.
OP Brendan 04 Sep 2013
In reply to frqnt: Nice one, thanks.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...